LegacyGT.com

odd coolent loss, not HG.

ok, cars a 1996 gt, 2.5 and im losing coolant onto the ground pretty fast.. i would say 2 cups a day. and the coolant is NOT coming from the block... the block is dry.

the car is wet around the radiator cap and down... now i cant tell if its coming from the cap cause i keep spilling coolant all over that side of the radiator when refilling.

i guess my question is... can i lose that much coolant though the cap?

plus my lower radiator hose looks mighty nasty... i got a new one of those and will be putting that on, butt..

but there is another POI for the leak, the tranny cooling lines going in and out on that side of the radiator. they are wet of course but is there even antifreeze in those lines? and could that be the source of such a big leak?

my money is on the hose first, then the cap,,

any ideas or past experience from anyone?

Replace the cap and like you said check the lower radiator hose.

Those are known to leak on these. Cheap fix. Also check your thermostat housing make sure that is all okay.

Check for cracks in the radiator. And the transmission lines shouldn't be leaking.

ok.. well im dont there now... i got new hose and clamps and new thermostat o ring.

but i cant get the thermo state to come out.. the notice the new gasket has a groove. so i think it kinda wraps around the thermostat right? if right i have just be riping one half the gasket off. the termo state is not coming off the motor.. any tips...

i also noticed while down there that the tow up is real fucked up.. its pushed back like 5 inches and the chasis just folded and almost pinch a shit load of important stuff.. gonna have to chain my car to a tree to pull that back out.

if it looks like it is leaking at the cap, replace it. mine did that and a new cap cured it.

if it looks like it is leaking from the lower hose, replace it.

you will be happier with a oem subaru t-stat.

very very very rare for the ATF cooling lines to leak coolant. but check your trans fluid to be sure.

not so rare for them to leak ATF, especially after recent work in the area.

• I Donated
very very very rare for the ATF cooling lines to leak coolant. but check your trans fluid to be sure.

not so rare for them to leak ATF, especially after recent work in the area.

the atf lines will never leak anti-freeze since there is no anti-freeze tthat goes through those lines.....only trans fluid

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

hahah yea i can see why they will never leak coolant. haha

ok.. thats what i was wondering.. i didnt know what was in those lines.. so does the tranny share the radiator with the engine basically?

o and it was not any of the block plugs. and the tstat gasket is good now. and the hose is good now. but when i had the car running. and the gas up. i watched the coolant gush out of the cap... when i looked at the cap. it is weather cracked... me thinks i need new cap.

so anything special or just any cap that the local auto value carries

Just replaced both hoses. Old clamps jacked the hose ends up= Leak. Radiator cap was not sealing. Steaming up the underhood area. Leaking quite substantially. Fixed that problem. What a blast to air-bleed this system! Also. Not ever going to leak coolant from the auto-trans lines. Unless, the tanks for the trans cooler and the tanks for the coolant cross-contaminate each other. Have been there before with other vehicles.

Archived