LegacyGT.com

Help with buying an LGT, concerns about mileage and turbo!

Ive been looking for an LGT for a long time, I finally might get one in april or may but im looking now. I would like one in manual with under 60,000 miles. I really dont want to spend over $16,000 or $17,000. But it seems like these cars hold their value. Im also concerned with the mileage on these cars with the turbo. Im not sure how long these turbos last or hold up. Any input here would help.

You should be able to find one for that price with that mileage although it might have to be an 05 or 06 any newer and it might get a little harder finding one for that price. There is a few things to consider with the turbo like the banjo bolt getting clogged, there is more info if you search on it and there is also something ive heard about with the wheel bearings having issues. But even with those things considered I still love mine and if I had to start all over again with the car purchasing thing I still would buy a leggy. Im stage 2 with about 60,000 on the dash and its holding up just fine. Good luck.

I just use mobil one but really most synthetics will do. My last oil change has valvoline fully synthetic in it and everything seems fine, no oil consumption. As for turbo life is concerned Ive read anything from 30 or 40,000 to well past 100,000 with some guys even running stage 2 on the setup's (and still going) I think it comes down to the way you drive the car and how well its maintained.

Only problems on these cars are the rear wheel bearings(under subaru extended warranty for 8 years or 100k), odd noises in winter, slow and no drivers auto up window, can't play mp3, It's a Subaru, so no new technology inside or vdc for safety if you want it. Turbo will be fine pretty much for a long time if you change(3000 miles) and check the oil. I have a 05 lgt all stock with 78,000 miles and no worries about anything including the stock turbo. It still kicks in around 3500rpm and still picks up in 5th gear on the highway without downshifting. I just wished Subaru would catch up on the technology and safety features that almost all other cars have like standard(memory seats, hids, mp3 player, bluetooth, heated/cooled seat for front and rear seats, tilt heel, 8 way power passenger seat, etc) but some of these are on the 2010 legacys but the rest are like never going to happen. If they do have it, it will be in like 15 years and cost like $45,000. So this car will be good and reliable but behind on technology if you want any of those! But I'm pretty happy with my all stock 05 lgt and plan to keep it until everything falls off, which will be in say 20 more years!!! Only like 5% rust under the car but no rust on the body yet living in Minnesota since the car was made in 2004

• 8 months later...
The dealer told me the bearings were covered up to 100k miles. At around 70k I had to replace a CV boot, clutch and intercooler. I also had a diff mount bushing crack on me, but didn't replace it. I did replace the oil pickup tube after I heard about the failure issues.

The major thing to be concerned about turbo life is the previous owners oil change/topping habits. If the previous owner was lax on oil changes a 50k LGT will not matter much. If it were the H6 or non turbo 4 another story.

I have used 3000-4000 miles dino oil change interval since new on our 05 LGT and still running OEM turbo at 116k miles.

From what I've heard, the biggest thing is just taking care of the car, which is true for any piece of machinery, but the turbo requires more attention. When I roll over 100k, I'm going to replace the turbo. I checked the shaft play and blades about 700 miles ago (88k now), and everything is fine, but the turbo is a wear item, just the nature of the beast.

Waiting until the turbo blows is a great way to open a can of worms you don't want.

From what I've heard, the biggest thing is just taking care of the car, which is true for any piece of machinery, but the turbo requires more attention. When I roll over 100k, I'm going to replace the turbo. I checked the shaft play and blades about 700 miles ago (88k now), and everything is fine, but the turbo is a wear item, just the nature of the beast.

Waiting until the turbo blows is a great way to open a can of worms you don't want.

I can run the turbo longer. If it's like mine, it will let you know by WHINING that's it time to retire. Mine went to 142,600 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just to let you know, the turbo and turbo components are "wear and tear" items, so they will eventually give out, just like the clutch, shocks, and bearings. Dont forget about the t-belt and all the things that go with that. Boy these cars get expensive, LOL. Its worth it tho, and it wont all go in the same year, just slowly.

Archived