LegacyGT.com

Should I get an up pipe?

Mark34

To all you tuning experts, please help.

I'm going in for a dyno tune next week and trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to install an aftermarket up pipe first. I know I don't need to for cat elimination, but would it be worth it for me to do it now?

Car is '07 LGT. Mods Perrin one piece catted dp, IPR tmic, Cobb intake, Cobb bpv, grimmspeed boost control solenoid (going on right before tune).

Only data I've seen suggests possible 17% flow increase, is that enough at this stage to make it worth it? And if the answer is yes, I was looking either HKS or GrimmSpeed. Thanks.

My understanding is that the OEM catless UP offers great spool and works very well. 17% flow increase could also effectively reduce the exhaust charge slowing spool. If you are running vf40/46 I would not bother.

Unfortunately for me, I've got an 05 so I went aftermarket.

I switched to the Grimmspeed coated up-pipe from an OEM STI up-pipe. I switched because the flanges on the STI pipe warped and it started leaking. I did notice an improvement in spool with the Grimmspeed pipe after I did the swap. The car builds boost slightly quicker. It's not a night and day difference, but I was pleased that it was an improvement.

Archived