LegacyGT.com

cv clicking/wheel bearing grinding when cold

only when cold, the car makes gringing/clicking noises. sounds like a wheel bearing/cv clicking noise. only does this when cold and the car is turning. had the same issue last winter and the dealer claimed it was the rear bell housing and replaced it under warranty.

can a bad wheel bearing show itself only when cold?

what would cause a clicking noise when cold?

everything is stock besides eibach lowering springs. i had zero issues before winter.

Are you sure it wasn't the rear muffler bearing ?

Rear bell housing ? do you have 2 transmissions ? I don't know everything, but I have never heard of a rear bell housing. I happen to have a spare 5MT in the basement. The bell housing is part of the tranny.

I would think the wheel bearing or CV joint would alway's make a noise if one was going bad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

only when cold?

Warm or cold. If you turn the steering wheel and here a clicking sound, that's the CV joint.

Same with the wheel bearing, should make a noise all the time. Now watch someone come on here and say it only happens when the car is warm.

I guess you have driven with the radio turned off and listen for the noise at different times over a few miles.

For some reason lately, if find I don't turn the radio on on my DD until I've gone about 10 miles. May be my psych'ie is checking for noises....So far, nothing new.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
I have this issue as well. the noise is VERY loud the first few minutes and then goes away in the middle of my 16 mile commute. Sometimes it only takes 3-4 miles for me to travel to the highway near by and it is gone. It initially began only the first start of the day but now it seems to be after the car sits for 4-6 hours.

Archived