LegacyGT.com

Cobb or SPT Exhaust?

blongo804

I have a chance at a used Cobb or a used SPT exhaust and i'm torn between the two. What is everyone's experience with these exhausts? I'll be going turboback so how is drone/loudness for either of them? Does anybody have pictures comparing the tips of the Cobb to the SPT?

Thanks in advance!

The first time I saw an SPT I immediately said "what exhaust is that???"

That being said... IM ALL ABOUT STROMUNG.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-new-quad-tip-cbe-05-09-infamous-performance-148820p28.html?t=148820&page=28

This is going to be the BEST quality on the market by far. Quad tip sexiness.

Question - how much can you get the exhausts for? If one is much cheaper, that would help the decision since they are all high quality.

What version of SPT?

They made two. Though they are quite similar, some of the v1's had issues with the welds on the mufflers.

In the end, they are very similar. I'm partial to the oval tips of the COBB's too. That and I recently learned through all the hubbub about the Stromung's that Stromung actually made the COBB exhaust. High quality for sure.

I've been all for the Stromung since day one but honestly not sure if I'll have those kind of funds until another month or two. I'd love them because I do see the top quality there. They'll still be on my mind no matter what and if I do go either SPT or Cobb, I may end up regretting it.

How big are the tips on the SPT compared to stock?

I'm not sure which version it is. I'll have to ask the seller. In the end, either of these will end up being about $325-425 difference over the Stromung. With college coming in ~9 months, money sucks. :(

SPTv2 tips are round vs stocker ovals. They are noticeably bigger than stock but not grapefruit launchers. I'm a big fan of the tips but the Cobb's look great too. Truth be told I don't think anyone has bested the prodrive tips...

Truth be told I don't think anyone has bested the prodrive tips...

Ain't that the truth.

I'm in on the Stromung deal but need to get the CFO's approval before I send payment. I think the quad tips are growing on me a bit but I KNOW I love the look of those Prodrive's. Wish I'd gotten on that blow out Cosworth was having on them (mislabeled?). Anyway, I guess I could try and wait for some used ones to come up for sale...

yeah but even when they come up for sale used they are mega dollars for cans only. that said i waited two years to finally get a used SPTv2 setup. just couldnt justify chopping the tips off a brand new exhaust. who knows how long i would have waited for prodrives.

Scoobydoobie, the seller's pictures show the SPT as a 4 piece (2 mufflers, y-pipe and extension) and the Cobb as 3 piece (2 mufflers, y-pipe). Perhaps he has V1 of the SPT? I forgot to ask.

Still looking for installed pictures of either exhaust!

Wait, the Cobb is only shown as 3 pieces? Where is the Cobb midpipe?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

SPT has no drone. Very nice sound. Cans are more pronounced than Cobb.

Cobb is Stromung, only the tip is Chinese and has the Cobb name.

SPT is AEM. SPT is rather restrictive if buying for pure performance. Y pipe is poor design and pipes are crushed inside the Y. KurtP destroyed his to prove it to everyone.

Both have the 2.5" flange. I cut it out and replaced with 3" pipe and a 3" flat flange on both. Cobb makes about 3-4 more whp on my car.

Cobb also has no drone. But has the Stromung sound. Grrrrr.

Can you tell I prefer the Cobb? I even like the oval tips better than the round.

MDork, thanks for all your help. That's crazy it doesn't even drone in the wagon!

Edit: m sprank replied while I was replying lol.

Wow, now that's all I needed right there. I can certainly tell you prefer Cobb! Sounds like a premium exhaust and I also like the ovals.

Honestly though, Stromung quad-tip is where it's at and I feel I'll miss out on them if I don't dish an extra $200 toward it.

Thanks for the help!

Both have no drone. My wife cannot tell the difference between the two in the car.

Both fit perfect. The Cobb is soooo tight into the bumper cutouts, I had to trim some skin to stop the burn. But, the SPT had started the melt down for me. It is at the back, so you can not see it. A small half moon cut out takes care of everything.

Both cleared my Cobb sways. But, the sways have a slight rust spot from the SPT. It did not hit, but got soooo close, it melted the paint.

SPT Y pipe sits LOW. I hit it once or twice on speed bumps/road hazards.

You would need a sound level meter to tell if one was "louder". They just have a different tone. SPT is not straight through muffler. Cobb is.

Cobb is Stromung. Stromung made the CBE's for Cobb. Only part not Stromung is the tip. Cobb CBE uses a 14" Stromung can.

Scoobydoobie, the seller's pictures show the SPT as a 4 piece (2 mufflers, y-pipe and extension) and the Cobb as 3 piece (2 mufflers, y-pipe). Perhaps he has V1 of the SPT? I forgot to ask.

Still looking for installed pictures of either exhaust!

The seller has a v.1 or v.1.5 SPT exhaust then. The SPT v.2 looks like this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2945046&postcount=7 w/the mid/y as one piece.

The Cobb mid/y (http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=264&sort=2&cat=14&page=1) are two separate pieces. Y ends in stock location to run stock cans or different stock location axlebacks if you want (Perrin, prodrive, AVO, etc.)

Archived