LegacyGT.com

"HellaFlush"...I don't understand.

W1CKED

This is considered tame if you start comparing to the VW/Audi scene. This is all they do.

Stick the widest wheel they can with the lowest offset and pray to the car gods they

can fit a tire without rubbing.

Those saying that it reduces contact patch / traction, it does affect performance, but

let me tell you I have seen a BMW 540i with some crazy stretched setup keep up with

some pretty quick cars on mountain roads.

Personally not a fan though.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
This is considered tame if you start comparing to the VW/Audi scene. This is all they do.

Stick the widest wheel they can with the lowest offset and pray to the car gods they

can fit a tire without rubbing.

You mean like this guy?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4583881

I am in awe of his fabrication and engineering skills, but skeptical of his priorities.

The current ride height can handle bumps in corners as well as rough pavement, NVH be damned, but has trouble with speed-bumps etc. I have tried to maintain a usable suspension setup as this is the DD and my wife drives it more than I do.

I do wonder what will happen when I go up to a 255/30/19 on the next set of rubber....?;)

In which case we know that you would be ill advised to try to follow me through a corner that has one bump.:lol:

Some stretch can actually help performance, but "hella flush" doesn't.

Being too square could induce a bit more sidewall flex than a tire that's a lil more stretched. Miata track folks have measured that laptimes for 225 tires on a 9" wheel were overall faster than on an 8" version of the same wheel. Better turn in, more feel, lil more contact patch.

I like the lowered look, but loss of performance means not for me.

One obvious reason is it allows people to get the rim lip as close to the fender lip as possible for a nice flush look.

Another is, as a result of the stretch, there is much less sidewall flex in the tire.

Also, lets face it, lots of people love the look of deep/wide wheels.

There is always open room for discussion on the topic of why people stretch tires.

Having checked the Rosetta Stone, I'm sure "Hella Flush" is young retard for "I'm really stupid. Please look at my car cz I've got nothing else going on in my pathetic life."

I could've mistranslated, but I'm pretty sure that's the substance of the translation. :hide:

I'm sure "Hella Flush" is young retard for "I'm really stupid. Please look at my car cz I've got nothing else going on in my pathetic life."

So does that mean the translation of "I race go-karts" is "I don't have enough money nor the balls to race an actual race car"?

Like you I might of got the translation wrong thou...

This thread didn't start out as a flame war, but pretty quickly turned into one.

P.S I actually like go-karts.

• I Donated
So does that mean the translation of "I race go-karts" is "I don't have enough money nor the balls to race an actual race car"?

Like you I might of got the translation wrong thou...

There's a difference between go-karts and karts. And shifter karts are about as fast as you're going to get this side of a full race-prepped car, which, yes, takes a lot of money.

I agree with you guys 110%...

I'm not saying if I like it or I don't...and I never will. I just didn't understand why it was done, physically. (Like why you wouldn't just put a tire on that fit the rim) :confused:

Everyone's that has posted so far has brought their own points to the table, and they are all valid in their own right. I thank you guys (LGT.com) for not turning this into a "flame-fest" as it would've been if I had posted it on another forum.

simple, if you put a 255 on a 9.5 +38 wheel on a Legacy while slammed

you'll rub like crazy unless you run MAD negative camber like the VIP people do

It really is a preference thing, as far as performance I really don't care. My car will never see a track or race. It's a DD and commuter so I dont see why a ton of people do have to hate why the streets aren't for performance in the first place.

Show me a "hellaflush" car racing or tracking their car... You just dont see it!

It really is a preference thing, as far as performance I really don't care. My car will never see a track or race. It's a DD and commuter so I dont see why a ton of people do have to hate why the streets aren't for performance in the first place.

Show me a "hellaflush" car racing or tracking their car... You just dont see it!

look at all the drift cars in japan

• I Donated

That's even worse IMO. I drive over dips and potholes frequently, and it was even more frequent when I lived in Boston. Sometimes they just can't be avoided. That's to say nothing of steep driveways... and when my engine spun a bearing, the flatbed scratched the bottom of the front bumper, at stock height. I would hate to have seen the bumper after that if I were "herrafrush"...

simple, if you put a 255 on a 9.5 +38 wheel on a Legacy while slammed

you'll rub like crazy unless you run MAD negative camber like the VIP people do

Which is why its completely ghetto and idiotic, and no arguing to the contrary will convince anyone who isn't a clueless follower that its a good idea.

Yes, it is trashy. This was a low class trend in the early 90s using POS old nissan econoboxes, and putting ridiculously wide and slammed stretched tires on them. Ill admit, there was less concern about tucking and overall aesthetics then as compared to the more planned and thought out efforts now, but overall its still the same crappy lowrider gestalt

I think it is dumb as sh*t, sorry but I might have liked it if it was cool in 1999 or 2000, but I am old school and like a nice clean car lowered nice, and a bit of speed. where I am from people cars would be stolen daily if it was big in my area. LOL TO much show off.

Archived