LegacyGT.com

In Dash VGA

llmask

To me hibernation means that system is off with ram content saved to hdd, it takes more than a second to get to loading hibernation file alone...

i was thinking about the same thing... i wonder how big his hibernation file is...

This Space For Rent

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, it was standby. I can't figure out how to put a desktop machine into true hibernation for some reason...

I will swap the stock battery for an Optima, and I'll probably put another one in the trunk but not because of the carputer -- it'll be because of the 1700w rms of JBL amps that'll be powering the system.

I will configure the system to stay in standby during the day and completely off at night or when I'm away from the car for long periods. That way I get my nav screen just as quickly as an OEM setup would.

john... man you had me thinking for quite a while there... "do they know some tricks that i don't?" you are bad bad! :lol::p

anyway, now it sounds like there is no need for your AMD Sempron 3100?

This Space For Rent

The 3100 may not be "needed", but there was no reason to not get it either. It consumes only 60 watts. The price was right, and the whole package makes sure I can run any programs and any front end I want without worrying about "can it handle it". It also means the carputer won't be as obsolete in 2-3 years. I chuckle when I see 1gHz machines that can't even run XP and the frontend without stuttering.

I rip and compress DVDs right on the carputer instead of using my desktop & then transferring the 1gig+ file. Even 80211.g would take a while.

Besides - just like with cars, there's no such thing as too much power!

• 2 months later...

John M,

I am watching your progess closely as I want to do the very same thing. I am in the planning stages and haven't yet decided on flush mount or motorized. Here is what I am planning:

• Athlon XP-M 2200+ (35W)
  • MicroATX mobo, likely the Biostar M7NCG
  • Opus 150 or the upcoming 240
  • perhaps a tank circuit (a second battery inline to prevent the computer gear from EVER running down the main battery - it would be a cool feature to be able to leave the computer on but the car off while, say, transferring files over wireless in the driveway?)

OK, so I could go the same route as most of the crowd at MP3Car and get an EPIA solution, but I (like you it seems) like the idea of a little more power and flexibility. One thing that I think will be vital to a finished piece is to mount a slim-line, slot load CD/DVD drive near the center console. I have thought about gutting the actual mechanism of the stock CD changer to mount there, but part of me likes the idea of retaining the stock unit for AudioCD use.

What I haven't figured out, nor have any clue on is the audio setup. Am I correct in assuming that I can output the computer signal to an amp or a DSP to amp that then integrates into the factory wiring? Also, I have the Wagon and want to retain as much of the storage area as possible. I think I may have to sacrifice the cargo tray, but am still think of alternatives (mounting the amps and tank circuit in the rear side storage and the computer in a 1U or custom case under the driver seat)

Sorry to thread-jack, but some of this is still on topic...right?

Yes, the computer audio can go from 1/8-inch jacks to standard RCAs, allowing you to use any amp(s) you want and to connect to the stock wiring.

I'm going to use a LOC to connect the stock radio's output into the carputer for changer & radio listening, though I don't expect to do much of that anymore. I'm putting a slot-load DVD in the tray in the glove box for movies & more music.

My last hurdle to starting the install now is where to put the cpu and how to cool it. I'm still leaning towards putting it in the spare tire well and water cooling it, running the lines outside under the trunk to a radiator/fan setup there.

My last hurdle to starting the install now is where to put the cpu and how to cool it. I'm still leaning towards putting it in the spare tire well and water cooling it, running the lines outside under the trunk to a radiator/fan setup there.

That would scare the holy hell out of me - mostly to be drilling a hole in the bottom of the car. I am sure you can pull it off, and its a novel idea, but I intend to use the ambient temp of the cabin and air-cool my rig. I am thinking that a small, likely purpose made case could fit in the place where the factory sub-woofer would - under the driver's seat.

And this is the best smiley ever - :dm:

there isn't much, if any, space under the driver's seat (GT Limited edition). the space under my front passenger's seat is already taken by the sub-woofer...

This Space For Rent

there isn't much, if any, space under the driver's seat (GT Limited edition). the space under my front passenger's seat is already taken by the sub-woofer...

My bad, I thought the subwoofer was under the driver side. I know I don't have a subwoofer. What kind of height are we talking? 2 -3" ?

know where i can find a tiny sempron motherboard (something like 12cm*12cm would be perfect)?

Does it have to be Sempron?

I just tried a Medium FedEx Box (~14"x~10.5"x~2.5") under both seats. It barely squeezed under the pass. seat, but only went about 7" towards the front before being blocked by something. It was a total no-go under the driver seat at that height.

Under the seat is looking more like a bad idea. MiniITX VIA or Intel in the glovebox might work (with the amps and power in the storage areas in the rear. That still doesn't solve the problem of where to mount the slim-load optical drive (I don't like the idear - homage' to Paul Teutel - of only being able to access my discs by opening the glove box)

p-m is nice but too expensive ($350 for motherboard, and how much is a Dothan?). no it doesnt have to be a sempron, any small (i made a typo earlier, it should be ~17cm*17cm) socket 754 will work... :p

you might be able to put the motherboard in the glovebox compartment, but i'd like to point out that it gets very hot in there (its been like 100F here in Colorado!!!). :(

This Space For Rent

p-m is nice but too expensive ($350 for motherboard, and how much is a Dothan?). no it doesnt have to be a sempron, any small (i made a typo earlier, it should be ~17cm*17cm) socket 754 will work... :p

you might be able to put the motherboard in the glovebox compartment, but i'd like to point out that it gets very hot in there (its been like 100F here in Colorado!!!). :(

I will just wear it around my neck or something ;)

Yeah, the MiniITX Pentium-M hardware is pricey - but very tasty. I am rapidly re-convincing myself that an EPIA solution may be the best for me. They have some new boards on the market as well.

Archived