LegacyGT.com

In Dash VGA

llmask

I'll get pics asap. I haven't taken any yet so you'll miss the initial cutout and framing. Basically you'll start with me 90% finished with the bondo work, trying to find a black that matches the stock finish the best.

I ordered a spare Xenarc bezel to flush into place. Then I just remove the "guts" and screw them onto the completed dash panel when I'm ready. It required a little trimming on the sides to make it fit between the vents but it was only cosmetic.

I retained enough of the clock's factory trim that it should be reasonably easy to put into the ashtray lid without much detail work. We'll see how that works out when I get to it. Hopefully I can also fit 4 USB ports in there too.

The computer itself is built - an AMD Sempron 3100, 512 meg, DVD player, and 200 gig SATA HD. It looks like I'll install it in the spare tire well and use a water cooling setup with the heat exchanger under the car. That way it won't overheat in the summer.

damn man. your pc specs are crazy! all i have is via m9000, 512ddr, dvd drive, and 120 GB IDE drive. shoot. your spec is way faster than my computer at work!

listen, are you a member of mp3car.com?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
damn man. your pc specs are crazy! all i have is via m9000, 512ddr, dvd drive, and 120 GB IDE drive. shoot. your spec is way faster than my computer at work!

listen, are you a member of mp3car.com?

I chose the Sempron because it consumes ~ 60 watts. I've got an Opus 150 and I will power most devices on their own supply (haven't ironed down the details) so basically I got the best speed/watt ratio I could find.

I've been in IT for 8-9 years now; I've got tons of old PCs I could have thrown into the car but I wanted something I'd be happy with for a long time. Besides, it cold boots in unde 15 seconds, from hibernation to music playing is under a second, and shutdown is maybe another 10 seconds. I wanted the experience to be as close to OEM as possible, and that includes making a full LGT-style interface for MediaEngine.

I owned a car stereo store in the early 90s and it's still an art I enjoy. I finally found a project that combines all my interests. I can't wait to get it all finished.

And yes, I'm a member at mp3car.com -- same user name, same avatar.

it cold boots in unde 15 seconds, from hibernation to music playing is under a second, and shutdown is maybe another 10 seconds.

15 seconds from the moment you press the power on button to the windows log in screen, or what? how can it go from hibernation to music playing in under a second?

This Space For Rent

Why hasn't anyone tried putting a screen in place of the stereo like they do in the H2's?? I know it would cost a pretty penny, but would look very sweet.

waiting for you to do it! ;)

This Space For Rent

15 seconds from the moment you press the power on button to the windows log in screen, or what? how can it go from hibernation to music playing in under a second?

Yes - from power button to XP desktop in 15 seconds.

Say you're playing music, then put it into hibernation (simulates turning the car off). Wake it up by moving the mouse (simulates turning the car back on) and you're back to music less than a second after moving the mouse. Or it may be one second. Still pretty damn quick!

But I was really curious if there was anything holding people back from doing it? I was thinking you would have to fabricate the console center, but wasn't sure if that was necessary.

Please spend just a few minutes reading this section of the board and it'll be very obvious why nobody has done that, and why nobody has an aftermarket head unit there, etc, etc.

Say you're playing music, then put it into hibernation (simulates turning the car off). Wake it up by moving the mouse (simulates turning the car back on) and you're back to music less than a second after moving the mouse. Or it may be one second. Still pretty damn quick!

let me try it on my 2.5Ghz P4... you using stock xp pro w/o any special "diet" mod right?

This Space For Rent

Yep - plain install of SP2 and all recent updates. Since I never know what I'll want to do with the carputer, I don't want to handicap it by removing things I may want later on.

I promise, I'll get a pic or two asap. I can't find my camera's battery charger!

All I have to show for now is the display's frame "mostly" fabbed into the dash piece between the vents. Nothing finished, nothing in-car, etc.

Guest JessterCPA
Thats the oldest excuse in the book!!

+3.14?? is that pi? if it is, you should've said

+(22/7)

Actually, if you use 22/7, you lose accuracy by the third decimal place. Not too accurate either.

According to Google: pi = 3.14159265

Here is a website: http://www.joyofpi.com/pi.html

Jesse

Yes - from power button to XP desktop in 15 seconds.

I still don't understand how it's posible to get from hibernation to play under a second.

To me hibernation means that system is off with ram content saved to hdd, it takes more than a second to get to loading hibernation file alone...

Unless u were referring to standby mode? If that's the plan, Are you planing to do a second battery or battery upgrade? Do you know what power it needs to stay in standby mode?

+X for the pictures :)

Archived