LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy GT

chiman2

Hey guys, I drove by a subaru legacy gt and just spotted that it was put on craigslist.

Here are the details and photos as posted by the seller

98 Subaru Legacy GT LIMITED...in Great condition

Automatic Transmission with no problems

Power Sliding Sunroof/moonroof...great condition...no leaks

Kenwood CD player

COLD A/C

HOT Heat

Black Leather interior in GREAT SHAPE..no rips...no tears...no stains...no cracks!!!

ORIGINAL PAINT in EXCELLENT shape...no accidents

All original car...no modifications...adult driven...very well taken care of car

$$ 4 BRAND NEW TIRES $$ Dunlop Z-rated Not cheap off brands

Car runs and drives perfect...alignment good...good inspection...no leaks

Take a look...wont be disappointed

170k miles...for a subaru, not bad...average 15k a year

$3500 price negotiable

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23k03l35Q25P45X4ac5a6bd99c346361d48.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23k03l35Q25P45X4ac5a6bd99c346361d48.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3nd3m23od5Y65Z55X0ac5e69c6b8fb83e15f0.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3k13pb3lc5O15V05W2ac5c78a621318b610a5.jpg

I was wondering what the forum members think of this car and its condition. I think 170k miles is alot and it might be the end of its life. Is it? What should i check if i go see it in person?

Thanks in advance.

Can be a good purchase, just watch out for rust in obnoxious places like the sunroof and drains for the sunroof as well as wheel arches. Those are the first places, and if both are in good condition and no serious rust in other places the car has been taken care of well. Of course - a mechanical checkup is always needed too.
453747.png

if the head gaskets have been replaced and all else looks good I'd prob go for it. The car will be a bit slugish w/ the auto though. My 98 outback feels slooowww.... At 214k though, running good. The price was right and I've put about $1k into it so far, getting the cv joint fixed tomorrow morning and maybe some snow tires if I can find a good deal. My wife loves the car.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I have that exact same car with 171k on it. When I pulled the motor and did the headgaskets at 154k the motor was flawless. These motors can go to 300k easy if taken care of. Definitely check for headgaskets, regular maintenance and rust like others said.

if the head gaskets have been replaced and all else looks good I'd prob go for it. The car will be a bit slugish w/ the auto though. My 98 outback feels slooowww.... At 214k though, running good. The price was right and I've put about $1k into it so far, getting the cv joint fixed tomorrow morning and maybe some snow tires if I can find a good deal. My wife loves the car.

Would it be sluggish compared to my current car, a 1987 Honda Accord? I hope not, what kind of maintenance comes with a subaru? Should i be expecting to be spending money everything month making sure the motor is fine? I use to have an 1993 loyale and that thing had problems all the time and was slowest thing ever, even slower than the 87 accord which i consider to be fun to drive.

I have this exact same car! Mine has 126k on it and I love it. Still waiting for the headgaskets to go but other than that no problems. Just regular maintenance. And I'm 18 and I don't think these cars are too slow. Mine always does what I want it to do and it is fast enough for me. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the car. Just ask if the head gaskets have been done and ask for a receipt or go to the place where he says he had them done and see if it is true.

Would it be sluggish compared to my current car, a 1987 Honda Accord? I hope not, what kind of maintenance comes with a subaru? Should i be expecting to be spending money everything month making sure the motor is fine? I use to have an 1993 loyale and that thing had problems all the time and was slowest thing ever, even slower than the 87 accord which i consider to be fun to drive.

Let me rephrase that. My wife's 98 Outback feels slow compared to my recently parted 99 Chrysler LHS that had a HO 3.5L under the hood and my newly acquired 06 Legacy 2.5i 5MT. Then again, an 06 w/ an auto will feel sluggish compared to a manual too... happens anytime you have a smaller engine.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived