LegacyGT.com

Warrany coming to an end going stage 3 soon on my 5eat need opinions

OGHK87Jay

So I have a 2008 LGT 5EAT and my 36k warranty is coming to an end and I am planning on going to go stage 3. I already getting the RacerX FMIC (props giving to M Sprank Thanks man!!!!) What is the biggest turbo you would put on it without blowing up the transmission after prolongue use? and fuel injectors too and fuel pump. I was also thinking to get the shift kit from transgo as soon as I find out more info on that and where to purchase it instead of a ipt vb mod.

I was thinking about the Tomioka Racing TD-05 18G (rated at 350awhp) turbo or the Tomioka Racing TD-05 20G turbo (rated at 400awhp) or the Tomioka Racing TD-06 20G (rated at 420awhp) turbo the prices seem very very reasonable for the new turbos. Or any other turbo suggestions. Is 20g too much power for a 5eat? here is the spec page for the the Tomioka Turbos

http://tomiokaracing.com/tomioka-turbos.html

TR TD05-18G Turbo for Subaru Legacy GT 2005+, WRX GH8 2009+, Forester SH5/9 2008+

The TR TD05-18G Turbo is the one of the best turbo upgrade for your street car. The turbo chararistic is very similar of factory VF42 Turbo but with an increased spool rate and capacity to handle upwards of 350WHP so it makes a great addition to your engine if you are planning to keep your car daily driver friendly. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box.

Model Number: TR-TS1004

Specifications: Type

TD05-18G

Application

Subaru Impreza WRX 2009+ GH8

Subaru Legacy GT 2009+ BL/BP

Subaru Forester 2005+ SH5/9

Bearing

Journal

Flange

Standard Subaru 5 Bolt

Compressor Diameter

Inlet

50.3 mm

Outlet

68 mm

Turbine Diameter

Inlet

49.2 mm

Outlet

56 mm

Air Flow Rate

600 CFM

Turbo Boost

1 BAR / 14.5 Psi

Maximum Power

350 HP

Turbine Housing

7 cm²

Contents of Kit:

• Turbocharger

• Actuator

• Oil Pipe

• Water Pipe

• Gaskets

• Hardware kits

MSRP: $929.00

TR TD05-20G Turbo for Subaru Legacy GT 2005+, WRX GH8 2009+, Forester SH5/9 2008+

If you are looking for a street/track turbo look no further, the TR TD05-20G turbo makes a excellent street and track turbo. This turbo is capable of up to 400HP and maintain a street drivability when you are off the track. With a larger wheel blades then the TR TD05-18G this turbo can handle mid to high end horsepower without increasing the lag time on the turbo when compared to stock. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box.

Model Number: TR-TS1005

TD05-20G

Application

Bearing

Journal

Flange

Standard Subaru 5 Bolt

Compressor Diameter

Inlet

52.5 mm

Outlet

68 mm

Turbine Diameter

Inlet

49.2 mm

Outlet

56 mm

Air Flow Rate

640 CFM

Turbo Boost

1 BAR / 14.5 Psi

Maximum Power

400 HP

Turbine Housing

8 cm²

Contents of Kit:

• Turbocharger

• Actuator

• Oil Pipe

• Water Pipe

• Gaskets

• Hardware kits

MSRP: $1,200.00

TR TD06-20G Turbo for Subaru Legacy GT 2005+, WRX GH8 2009+, Forester SH5/9 2008+

Introducing the largest available bolt on turbo replacement for the 2009+ WRX GH8, 2005+ Legacy GT & 2008+ Forester SH5/9. The TR TD06-20G turbo is designed for the newer models of Subaru with fly-by throttle turbo design. This turbo is made for high-end power while maintaining the bolt in design as much as possible. This turbo can handle up to 420WHP for all your racing needs. Upgraded engine internals is strongly recommended for this turbo.

Model Number: TR-TS1006

TD06-20G

Application

Subaru Legacy GT 2005+ BL/BP

Subaru Forester 2008+ SG5

Bearing

Journal

Flange

Standard Subaru 5 Bolt

Compressor Diameter

Inlet

52.5 mm

Outlet

68 mm

Turbine Diameter

Inlet

54 mm

Outlet

61 mm

Air Flow Rate

640 CFM

Turbo Boost

0.8 BAR / 12 Psi

Maximum Power

420 HP

Turbine Housing

8 cm²

Contents of Kit:

• Turbocharger

• Actuator

• Oil Pipe

• Water Pipe

• Gaskets

• Hardware kits

As for fuel injectors go I was thinking DeatschWerks fuel injectors either 650cc or 750cc and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump. I would like to know which would be the best size injectors in your recomendation. The 650's or the 750's?

The point here is I'm modding on a budget and want my 5eat to be have decent power as a DD and weekend track car and not having to replace a transmission due to turbo being way too much for it to handle.

How much power are you looking for total? What fuel are you going to run? What tranny mods do you have now or plan in the future? How much are you prepared to spend?

I highly recommend the BNR turbos. EVO16g to 18g for your application.

But my personal experience leads me to ask more questions before proceeding.

I can't help much but somewhat in the same boat.. I've read most all if not all the turbo threads now and still can't make a final decision on the turbo. I started my list with BNR 16g, BNR 18g, BNR68 and the VF52.

At this point I've pretty much ruled out the VF52 and BNR 16g as not being enough bang for buck. I'm likely going to go with the BNR 18g or the BNR68.

If I had a 5eat though, I would be considering only the VF52/BNR 16g. The cost of upgrading the transmission is considerable, and it seems some people still have issues after doing so. These 2 turbos should work best for the 5EAT imo. If you have money to spend and another car to daily drive, then going bigger than these makes more sense.

How much power are you looking for total? What fuel are you going to run? What tranny mods do you have now or plan in the future? How much are you prepared to spend?

I highly recommend the BNR turbos. EVO16g to 18g for your application.

But my personal experience leads me to ask more questions before proceeding.

Well Mike I am aiming for 335-340awhp. But if its truelly possible I would like 350-380AWHP. Im going to run pump gas since there isnt a single e85 station close by to my house. As for tranny mods all I have done right now is the 4454 tru cool tranny cooler and a rallitek transmission race bushing. I plan in the future to get the transgo shift kit which is also a vb mod and thats about it for the tranny mods. Im planning to spend 2-2.5k or less. Also like for the BNR turbo is it like you buy the whole turbo or is it like ship it in your current turbo and get turbine wheel replaced.

As for injectors what do you recommend the 650 or 750cc?

First...

For power you are aiming for your budget is too small.

No 16g, 18g or hta68 is going to hit 335awhp on CA91. So, you need BIGGER.

Your tranny eats power. So, you have to make more at the crank than a MT to get the power to the wheels.

I dont care what Transgo does with their shift kit. Your not gonna hold 380awhp as a DD for long.

So lets get realistic. Your tranny is going to hold you back. Care to spend $4-$5k for a race built tranny?

I doubt it . So lets try to keep it in the 300-315awhp range and MAYBE it stays together. Mine did not. I had more mods to the tranny and it went before 300awhp.

Just to hit 315awhp on CA91 your gonna need larger than an HTA68. So, lets say 20g? 750cc might do, but for the money might as well get the 850cc.

Turbo = $1k

Injectors = $250 (after core refund)

Fuel pump = $80 (you do the mod)

73mm intake = $250

EBCS = $100

Intercooler (I know you are getting the RacerX) = $550

Tune = $175 (minimum)

Tranny mods = $1000-$5000

Consider TGV deletes and headers because of your power goals add $200 for TGV and $800 for headers.

Misc gaskets, oil line, etc = $200

You could always add more, but I passed $2500 with just the basics.

Just trying to be realistic.

First...

Your tranny eats power. So, you have to make more at the crank than a MT to get the power to the wheels.

I dont care what Transgo does with their shift kit. Your not gonna hold 380awhp as a DD for long.

So lets get realistic. Your tranny is going to hold you back. Care to spend $4-$5k for a race built tranny?

I doubt it . So lets try to keep it in the 300-315awhp range and MAYBE it stays together. Mine did not. I had more mods to the tranny and it went before 300awhp.

Just to hit 315awhp on CA91 your gonna need larger than an HTA68. So, lets say 20g? 750cc might do, but for the money might as well get the 850cc.

Turbo = $1k

73mm intake = $250

EBCS = $100

Tune = $175 (minimum)

Consider TGV deletes and headers because of your power goals add $200 for TGV and $800 for headers.

Listen to Mike, he speaks the truth. My 5EAT didn't last 2 months after going Stage 3 (RalliTek Deluxe Kit / AVO380). I am probably only pushing around 300whp. So make sure you have a contingency fund of around $5k set aside, and an understanding wife. :lol: That's what it cost me for a full tranny rebuild (including the TransGo kit, and supposedly capable of 450whp.....don't plan to test that claim, just hopefully a safety margin).

You may or may not be able to do things on the cheap, but just don't count on it.

First...

Turbo = $1k

73mm intake = $250

EBCS = $100

Tune = $175 (minimum)

Fine then lets be realistic. If I use the 18g how much power do yall think I can squeez out on CA 91 with the mod list i have listed out. I already have and AVO intake kit on my car too. The transmission rebuild will be a slow project.

Listen to Mike, he speaks the truth. My 5EAT didn't last 2 months after going Stage 3 (RalliTek Deluxe Kit / AVO380). I am probably only pushing around 300whp. So make sure you have a contingency fund of around $5k set aside, and an understanding wife. :lol: That's what it cost me for a full tranny rebuild (including the TransGo kit, and supposedly capable of 450whp.....don't plan to test that claim, just hopefully a safety margin).

You may or may not be able to do things on the cheap, but just don't count on it.

So exactly what was done with your tranny though? Im going to slowly build up the tranny but drive around with the transgo kit first. If transgo will tell me where the hell to purchase it.

AFAIK the Transgo kit is installed in 1 members car. He is the guinea pig. Transgo has not yet released the kit.

I had the Tru-Cool 4454, Rallitech tranny mount insert, full assortment of Whiteline drive line bushings. Changed fluid every 15k. Changed filter at 30k.

IPT VB. Installed by IPT at IPT in New Jersey.

6 trips down the drag strip.

Never finished tuning the 16g (30k miles on odometer). Tranny gave out during tuning.

18g on pump piss water gas... 750cc injectors... 280ish. Maybe a few more.

Not trying to be a dick. Your tranny might hold up fine. Many hold up better than mine did. but, there were those who told me it would happen (because it happened to them too). Honestly just trying to be realistic.

AFAIK the Transgo kit is installed in 1 members car. He is the guinea pig. Transgo has not yet released the kit.

I had the Tru-Cool 4454, Rallitech tranny mount insert, full assortment of Whiteline drive line bushings. Changed fluid every 15k. Changed filter at 30k.

IPT VB. Installed by IPT at IPT in New Jersey.

6 trips down the drag strip.

Never finished tuning the 16g (30k miles on odometer). Tranny gave out during tuning.

18g on pump piss water gas... 750cc injectors... 280ish. Maybe a few more.

Not trying to be a dick. Your tranny might hold up fine. Many hold up better than mine did. but, there were those who told me it would happen (because it happened to them too). Honestly just trying to be realistic.

Yeah I get what your saying. Well yea I'd be happy with 280hp or anything to give me more power then what I got now. Well I did talk to transgo earlier they said the 08's kit was developed so ill take my chances there and just need to get an update from their end. I'll eventually get my tranny reinforced/rebuilt. The main purpose of the car is not to drag it but its to go on the track twice a year at willow springs and or laguna seca as an ideal goal. 300awhp from what you guys been educating me on is great stuff thanks for all this info much appreciated guys. Honestly I dont think I'll be even close to be able to dish out 5k for mad tranny upgrades. My thinking of 300awhp may be too optomistic of me to begin with. It was just wishful I'll just take what I can get then from the either the bnr 18g or the tomioka 18g , 750 injectors, walbro pump, my avo intake w/ heatshield, racerx fmic, cobb xfe bpv and my agency power light weight pulley and my cnt catted hfc dp. I dont want to completely kill my car. It's the only car I got. Mike I'll get the injectors and pump from you later and the other whiteline goodies.

So who built your tranny ?????

So I have a 2008 LGT 5EAT and my 36k warranty is coming to an end and I am planning on going to go stage 3. I already getting the RacerX FMIC (props giving to M Sprank Thanks man!!!!) What is the biggest turbo you would put on it without blowing up the transmission after prolongue use? and fuel injectors too and fuel pump. I was also thinking to get the shift kit from transgo as soon as I find out more info on that and where to purchase it instead of a ipt vb mod.

I was thinking about the Tomioka Racing TD-05 18G (rated at 350awhp) turbo or the Tomioka Racing TD-05 20G turbo (rated at 400awhp) or the Tomioka Racing TD-06 20G (rated at 420awhp) turbo the prices seem very very reasonable for the new turbos. Or any other turbo suggestions. Is 20g too much power for a 5eat? here is the spec page for the the Tomioka Turbos

http://tomiokaracing.com/tomioka-turbos.html

TR TD05-18G Turbo for Subaru Legacy GT 2005+, WRX GH8 2009+, Forester SH5/9 2008+

The TR TD05-18G Turbo is the one of the best turbo upgrade for your street car. The turbo chararistic is very similar of factory VF42 Turbo but with an increased spool rate and capacity to handle upwards of 350WHP so it makes a great addition to your engine if you are planning to keep your car daily driver friendly. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box.

Model Number: TR-TS1004

TD05-18G

Application

Bearing

Journal

Flange

Standard Subaru 5 Bolt

Compressor Diameter

Inlet

50.3 mm

Outlet

68 mm

Turbine Diameter

Inlet

49.2 mm

Outlet

56 mm

Air Flow Rate

600 CFM

Turbo Boost

1 BAR / 14.5 Psi

Maximum Power

350 HP

Turbine Housing

7 cm²

Contents of Kit:

• Turbocharger

• Actuator

• Oil Pipe

• Water Pipe

• Gaskets

• Hardware kits

MSRP: $929.00

TR TD05-20G Turbo for Subaru Legacy GT 2005+, WRX GH8 2009+, Forester SH5/9 2008+

If you are looking for a street/track turbo look no further, the TR TD05-20G turbo makes a excellent street and track turbo. This turbo is capable of up to 400HP and maintain a street drivability when you are off the track. With a larger wheel blades then the TR TD05-18G this turbo can handle mid to high end horsepower without increasing the lag time on the turbo when compared to stock. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box.

Model Number: TR-TS1005

TD05-20G

Application

Bearing

Journal

Flange

Standard Subaru 5 Bolt

Compressor Diameter

Inlet

52.5 mm

Outlet

68 mm

Turbine Diameter

Inlet

49.2 mm

Outlet

56 mm

Air Flow Rate

640 CFM

Turbo Boost

1 BAR / 14.5 Psi

Maximum Power

400 HP

Turbine Housing

8 cm²

Contents of Kit:

• Turbocharger

• Actuator

• Oil Pipe

• Water Pipe

• Gaskets

• Hardware kits

TR TD06-20G Turbo for Subaru Legacy GT 2005+, WRX GH8 2009+, Forester SH5/9 2008+

Introducing the largest available bolt on turbo replacement for the 2009+ WRX GH8, 2005+ Legacy GT & 2008+ Forester SH5/9. The TR TD06-20G turbo is designed for the newer models of Subaru with fly-by throttle turbo design. This turbo is made for high-end power while maintaining the bolt in design as much as possible. This turbo can handle up to 420WHP for all your racing needs. Upgraded engine internals is strongly recommended for this turbo.

Model Number: TR-TS1006

TD06-20G

Application

Subaru Legacy GT 2005+ BL/BP

Subaru Forester 2008+ SG5

Bearing

Journal

Flange

Standard Subaru 5 Bolt

Compressor Diameter

Inlet

52.5 mm

Outlet

68 mm

Turbine Diameter

Inlet

54 mm

Outlet

61 mm

Air Flow Rate

640 CFM

Turbo Boost

0.8 BAR / 12 Psi

Maximum Power

420 HP

Turbine Housing

8 cm²

Contents of Kit:

• Turbocharger

• Actuator

• Oil Pipe

• Water Pipe

• Gaskets

• Hardware kits

As for fuel injectors go I was thinking DeatschWerks fuel injectors either 650cc or 750cc and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump. I would like to know which would be the best size injectors in your recomendation. The 650's or the 750's?

The point here is I'm modding on a budget and want my 5eat to be have decent power as a DD and weekend track car and not having to replace a transmission due to turbo being way too much for it to handle.

Cars that are fun to drive make power early in the curve. Most the

time cars that make big numbers ? the power is high up in the RPM range

and you have to wait for it....

You will have way more fun and spend way less $$$$ on building a

car that quick from 0 to 80mph. Yes .... you might give up some top

end rev but so what. You drive mostly in the 0 to 80 range. So make

it fun to drive in that range. A smaller turbo such as the 16G EVO WILL

be way more fun to drive in traffic than a 20G or bigger. Gamma's Datsun

B210 will beat you from a standing start...... Dont get spun out on big numbers and dyno sheets....... Big numbers dont always mean alot of fun to drive........;) Big numbers are great conversation though ....

Cars that are fun to drive make power early in the curve. Most the

time cars that make big numbers ? the power is high up in the RPM range

and you have to wait for it....

You will have way more fun and spend way less $$$$ on building a

car that quick from 0 to 80mph. Yes .... you might give up some top

end rev but so what. You drive mostly in the 0 to 80 range. So make

it fun to drive in that range. A smaller turbo such as the 16G EVO WILL

be way more fun to drive in traffic than a 20G or bigger. Gamma's Datsun

B210 will beat you from a standing start...... Dont get spun out on big numbers and dyno sheets....... Big numbers dont always mean alot of fun to drive........;) Big numbers are great conversation though ....

Well 16g and 18g is on my radar I no longer plan on going 20g due to the amount of money that is need just for this car to handle it. I live on a hill/canyon road so thats the point of the turbo. The car hill climbs pretty damn good on Angeles Crest and like i said for track. Dually noted though. Yes that is more ideal for me but id like more of a 0-120mph car lol

So exactly what was done with your tranny though? Im going to slowly build up the tranny but drive around with the transgo kit first. If transgo will tell me where the hell to purchase it.

Like Mike, I had also had the IPT valve body in before my tranny gave out. But I guess it might have been too little too late, and perhaps the damage was already done.

A local shop did a complete rebuild: welded & reworked torque converter, borg warner clutches, machined tranny case to accommodate extra 4th & 5th gear clutches, worked with TransGo to use a 350z kit as the basis for a modding my original valve body, & and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall.

I guess I kind of lucked out because a local shop already works with TransGo testing some of their kits, and they were able to pull this off. Didn't realize it was a big deal at the time. TransGo doesn't currently offer a direct kit for the 5EAT (in the works?). So you would have to follow a similar route and find a shop that TransGo works with if that's the route you wanted to go.

Most of it is already documented in the the 5EAT Pride!, TransGo Guinea Pig, and 5EAT Mad Scientist threads. Here's one of the links:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-pride-120921.html?p=2863073#post2863073

Post from another member in the Turbo upgrade in an '05 5EAT thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-upgrade-05-5eat-150131.html

Just a word of advice to anyone upgrading 05EATs, you will pay to play. I had upgraded mine years ago and blew 2 transmissions. Went back to stock and haven't had a problem since with the 3rd.

Didn't even beat on the car, it just couldn't hold up. I was running an 18g 7mm with Perrin TMIC, AEM Intake, Pullies, Catless UP, DP, Megan Racing cat back, trans cooler, etc etc etc. With a pro tune on a dyno and an extra map for high octane torco.

Blew one the got a replacement thinking it was a fluke, put a few more goodies on and got the torco tune. Was putting down about 321WHP. 5th gear went, then 4th, then 3rd over the course of 6 months.

Now on tranny 3 and I am stock for 2+ year, no issues anymore. So just be careful it won't last, although it is fun in the beginning lol

You sold me on quick spooling. Ill get the transgo kit and get my transmission reinforced at my tranny guy. Slowly but painfully Im not going to beat the piss out of car just yet. Maybe start out with the injectors and pump first then tune and then build up the trans. Then buy the turbo and drop it in. M Sprank how fast was it 0-60?

If the tranny had held up I am estimating VF-39 type power. So, 12 second quarter miles and 300whp range. Because of the 5EAT, maybe 285whp. But she could scoot. 0-60 in the 5sec range? Heck, I ran 13.5ish at stage2. With crap tires and a car load of junk. 12 sec 1/4 mile is fast. Even 12.9 is fast.

yes. piss water 91 from the Cali pump.

We have tuned plenty of these now. It is a smallish upgrade for the car. It can run on stock fueling, or can hold boost up top with larger injectors/pump. Spools like a VF-40. Lots of low end grunt. If DD or taking it on the road course you want the hard push off the bottom this turbo gives. No wait. Hit the gas and go. Not going to make 350whp. But it will do what you want. The difference between a stage2 car and a EVO16g is night and day.

Heck, even with the damaged tranny and the boost turned down (to save the car) the wife noticed the car was different (better). She drove it to S3 in limp mode and commented on how it felt stronger and peppier than the day before. She did not know I blew the tranny testing. Hows that for positive feedback?

I have an '05 LGT, 5EAT, BNR evo16g with OEM TMIC, gutted OEM pipes and injectors/pump. GST's Dyno put me around 220 awhp (but according to some others, that's more like 260-270 compared to most dynos).

It's a LITTLE slower to hit boost than the VF40 stage 2. But it pulls much harder. I've been lucky so far: 22K miles at stage 2, 10K miles at stage 2.5. Oh yeah - just passed smog (incl. visual). LOADS faster than stock.

I cringe everytime my 5EAT shifts funny. I think this is why my next car will be NA - I just can't help myself from modding, and then I get back to the "will my car blow up this week" anxiety. Then again, this ain't no VW :-)

Stage3. Any aftermarket turbo makes you stage3.

Stage definitions are getting odd. It might be time for some clarification.

Cobbs deff's for stage1 and 2 seem to hold up fine. Its when we talk about anything other than stage2 that gets confused.

So wait a 16g turbo falls under stage 2 or 2.5 I'm a little lost (noobieness moment right here forgive me)? Oh I'm very excited now for 16g it is. This is going to be a fun fun fun project for the DD.

I call mine stage 2.5, because it's an upgraded turbo, but stock pipes (1 cat in the DP), and stock TMIC. Stage 3 (for me) would be upgraded TMIC/FMIC and upgraded DP/exhaust..

Archived