LegacyGT.com

accessory/cigarette lighter power problems

recently bought a 1997 Legacy wagon. then a few weeks after that I took a long trip and noticed weird issues with my 12v dc accessory power socket (no cigarette lighter) I plug things into it and they receive power (the LED on the cord lights up) but it either takes forever to charge, doesn't charge at all or it will charge for 5 min, then stop charging. if that happens i have to unplug it plug it back in and jiggle it and the whole thing will start over again. remember that regardless if it is charging or not, the led on the charger plug in is lit either way. I tested the 12v dc outlet and engine off, acc on: it gets 11.7 v dc, engine running: it gets around 12.5 v dc, and engine off acc, off: it gets nothing (No, the led on the charger plug is NOT lit) has anyone had a similar problem, or have any solutions or tips? thanks.

Try moving the power mirrors if you have them; if they don't move, then you've blown a fuse. If you touched anything metal to the inside of the outlet besides the cigarette lighter or any plugs for a dc accessory, it will short the circuit and blow a fuse. I had the same exact problem; my nav wasn't charging, but the led for the plug would light up, making me think that it was connected and everything.

An easy way to check if the fuse is bad is to try moving the power windows...if they don't move, it's a fuse because those and the dc outlet are on the same circuit.

Archived