LegacyGT.com

5eat trans filter options?

underground000

Not another filter thread...:hide:

Didnt find much info for aftermarket filters...or lack of search skills...

Cheaper transmission filter possibilities(some guys dont want to spend $30 for oem)...

Apart from bypass psi for oem, how about using engine oil filters?? (I remember oem by pass psi debates:spin:)

Amsoil's website (for 08), engine oil filter and transmission filter are the same part number for Amsoil and Wix Amsoil linky, info at bottom of page, Wix linky

Amsoil by pass psi: 8-11

Wix by pass psi: 8-11

Wix Max flow rate: 9-11 GPM

Purolator:

Google search...Purolator makes specific transmission filter for Subaru and Saabarus (Saab). So there are different part numbers for oil filter and trans filter

Oem:

The filter says something like do not replace...so it has diferent part numbers from oem engine filter because of the paint and info it has...

What are you guys opinions?

Also consider... some of us do drain fill 15-20k (esp stage 2)

I know oem is non serviceable but people are doing 'earlier' drain/fills

OEM price ~$30, vs ex: $5 purolator pure one (I know you pay what you get, but some aftermarket engine oil filters has been proven to be as good or better then oem filtration)

Apart from using Amsoil 25k mile $17 filter + shipping (few people reccomends this)

For my piece of mind I would replace the filter every time I drain/fill the trans fluid if using 'cheap price' oil filters...or maybe every other oil change...

I do not want this thread to be, quite whining and just pay up and get oem. or a huge discussion on psi. Aftermarket filters can be just as good or better then oem. And 1 thing for the aftermarket nay sayers...subaru has changed engine oil filter manufactures so finding original oil filter are hard (apart from RX8)...

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

In my opinion if you have filter issues, then you have bigger things to worry about. I would not worry about replacing it more often than once every 60K miles, regardless of how many drain/fills you do. Supposebly there won't be a significant amount of crap, if any, suspended in the ATF that needs filtering. I would not mess with aftermarket filters unless the manufacturers specifically list them as ATF filters for the Subaru 5EAT.

• Mega Users
Yea...I think that there is no bypass valve...just a mesh screen. I think this is unfortunately one of those things that can keep going back and forth for a long time...like bypass valve pressure in the oil filter. It is a ridiculous price for it. It seems like an oil filter would do a fine job, but there must be a reason for using the mesh instead.

I'm sure there is a very good reason for it, otherwise SOA would not complicate (at the cost of expense) inventory. One reason for the lack of bypass valve would be that there are components very sensitive to backpressure. Traditionally, ATF filters had no bypass valve. Heck, most still are flat filters in the pan.

Keep reading that thread I linked, that's where I found out about it. There's pictures of cut filters an everything. Externally the filters look almost identical. Internally too to some extent. However, the old style ATF filter had a screen mesh (think banjo bolt) welded in place of a bypass valve. The new ones are capped off. For this reason alone I would be wary of running an oil filter with a traditional bypass valve. However, if you think about it, a bypass valve would make sure line pressure never drops for whatever reason and I don't think it would have a significant impact on filtering since a healthy transmission does not generate any significant amount of crap. Both WIX and Amsoil quote their oil filters to be used as ATF filters and I believe the bypass pressure is the "standard" 8-11 PSI or 14-18 PSI, I am not sure which. Having said this, we don't know how much pressure the ATF pump generates so we don't know for how long and under what conditions the filter would run in bypass mode. This is why I said that if your ATF filter collects any noticeable amount, it is time to look elsewhere. I plan on changing mine come spring, just because, and I will cut it open to see what is in it. It has roughly 50K miles of Stage 2 on it and the tranny has seen 5EAT ATF, 4EAT ATF (gasp) and now Amsoil synthetic. I reasoned that if the Amsoil does any cleaning, it'll have plenty of time and it'd be a good thing to put a fresh filter in. I can't imagine what there would be to clean since when I dropped the pan to do the valve body mod, it was literally shiny metal. I do want to see how much clutch material was trapped and filtered, since the clutches ARE wearing.

I took a look at the link you posted.

it would suck like after 2k rpm the oil filter by pass valve would be open...

I guess you can kind of say the oem trans filter also works like an oil filter by pass kit, where partial fluid goes through a filter element for cleaning since the mesh would create some back pressure

Any deposits in automatics dont necessary go to the bottom of the pan. They do get stuck in the transmission assembly, and if you have too many miles on old fluid and get a flush (especially a force flush), the new fluid can dislodge and deposits and then the transmission breaks.

So my thread failed...shh dont let the 5th gen guys know theres another failed thread:lol:, but at least its not a rice failed thread...

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Archived