LegacyGT.com

Help fixing 1990 legacy motor problems?

The 1990 legacy wagon i bought yesterday is having motor problems. I cranked it this afternoon and the motor was constantly idling at 2500rpm, then when i would shift to 1st gear with the clutch still pushed in it would idle down to 1800rpm. then if i put it bakc in neutral nd rev it to 2500rpm, it would stay at 2500rpm again. i cranked the car several times but it just kept doing the same thing. After a little research, i determined it could be the MAF sensor or the TPS sensor or the IAC valve. So i removed the top part of the IAC and TPS and cleaned them with a special electrical cleaner, let them dry good, then reinstalled them. That definitely fixed the high idle problems, now it idles very low and sometimes just dies. When it does idle without dying, if i rev the motor up, when the RPMs start to go down, it will just die. I tried adjusting the tps, several times, and finally just put it back in the exact same place it was from the factory (it is marked). I never even adjusted the idle screw on the TB. The car wont run with the MAF unplugged, it also wont run with the tube that connects to the air filter unplugged at the throttle body. for some reason now, it has developed ticking sound in the head on the drivers side. No clue how MAF and TPS would make a lifter tick, or whatever that tick is. what could be the problem? Oh and i checked the oil and it has waaaay to much oil in it. no water. Checked the plugs, and they are all Bosch Platinum 2 which doesnt need gaping.

• I Donated

If this is the same wagon you posted before (the blue one), it probably sat for quite some time without running.

It sounds like you have some sort of vacuum leak somewhere. i would trace over your vacuum lines and look for tears, cracks, dryrot, etc. If one of your local shops has a smoke machine, you can have them hook it up to find any vacuum leaks.

As far as the lifters ticking, I would change your oil, let it run for a little while....or drive it a few miles, then change it again. Same reason as above - the car probably sat for quite some time before you replaced the fuel pump....old oil = bad

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

If this is the same wagon you posted before (the blue one), it probably sat for quite some time without running.

It sounds like you have some sort of vacuum leak somewhere. i would trace over your vacuum lines and look for tears, cracks, dryrot, etc. If one of your local shops has a smoke machine, you can have them hook it up to find any vacuum leaks.

As far as the lifters ticking, I would change your oil, let it run for a little while....or drive it a few miles, then change it again. Same reason as above - the car probably sat for quite some time before you replaced the fuel pump....old oil = bad

yeah he said it sat for 7 months, but the tag sticker has 08 on it. The oil is definitely very old, its black, and runny. And it has way too much oil in it, like 2 inches above the "F" on the dipstick. What kind of oil do these cars use, and how much? i cant measure with old oil because it has way to much. 5w-30 + lucas oil stabilizer (i already have some) or all 5w-30, all 10w-30? 10w-40? i like havoline synthetic but what oil do you recommend? consider the 240k miles.

• I Donated

You're either going to hold 4 quarts or 4.5 quarts. I don't remember for sure off the top of my head.

I would put 3 quarts of 10 30 in it and the quart of lucas. Start it up and let the oil settle, then check it. If its low, add half a quart and you will be set.

Remember though - the lucas will substitute a quart of oil You don't want it overfilled again. You run the risk of blowing out seals when you overfill the oil.

As far as type of oil.....I would run either high-mileage oil or conventional. I've heard horror stories about running synthetic in high mileage engines.

With a tag from almost 3 years ago, I would say its safe to assume that the car sat since then.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

your engine is designed to run on conventional motor oil.

The use of high mileage helps condition the seals inside the engine. There is an additive in it that swells the seals to prevent them from leaking and burning oil.

Don't run synthetic. In your situation it is just about the worst oil you can use.

And your idea on synthetic isn't completely true. Penzoil, Mobile, etc synthetic oils are actually based off of conventional motor oil. The only "true" synthetic oil that I know of is made by Amsoil.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

your engine is designed to run on conventional motor oil.

The use of high mileage helps condition the seals inside the engine. There is an additive in it that swells the seals to prevent them from leaking and burning oil.

Don't run synthetic. In your situation it is just about the worst oil you can use.

And your idea on synthetic isn't completely true. Penzoil, Mobile, etc synthetic oils are actually based off of conventional motor oil. The only "true" synthetic oil that I know of is made by Amsoil.

so would it be ok to run 5w-30 castrol GTX, or quaker state, penzoil, whatever is better priced, + the lucas oil stablizer, since it increases oil viscosity? its cold around here, plus i dont want to starve the engine of oil at high rpms.

I started running synthentic at 150k. No problems. Who knows I am running 5-40 Rotella T.

Idles much different much smoother.

Im a man on a budget so i went with what they had on sale, Valvoline Max Life Synthetic Blend for high mileage vehicles. 10w-30 5.28 quarts, and a FRAM Tough guard oil filter. All for $20.

126_0023.thumb.jpg.a40dfeabf991438c7cfeb2c6f5f1c60a.jpg

• I Donated
Im a man on a budget so i went with what they had on sale, Valvoline Max Life Synthetic Blend for high mileage vehicles. 10w-30 5.28 quarts, and a FRAM Tough guard oil filter. All for $20.

excellent. i would keep using the high mileage from here on out. just remember, you're only going to use 3 or 3.5 quarts of oil if you put the lucas in with it.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Valvoline is what I just took out. Not the high mileage stuff. My engine runs just fine.

But when I drained the Valvoline after 2,5xx miles it was nasty. So I put Rotella T in there. I paid 26 with a filter.

I am hoping something is not messed up and the Valvoline was just junk. Will report back on next oil change.

Archived