LegacyGT.com

Both headlights out...then back on...then out...then on

f1anatic

then out then on then on and on...

I've had this el cheapo DDM tuning HID kit on my car for aproximately 2 years and it worked fine. Occasionally if it was extremely cold (well below zero Celsius), one of the headlights may not turn on the first time around and I would have to cycle the switch 1-2 times.

Well last night, with temperatures around freezing, they turned on, I drove around a while and then ...parked briefly at a store. Not even 5 min later I was ready to leave and no headlights. None. The fogs would turn on but not the low beams. No matter how many times I cycled the switch, they would not turn on. I cautiously drove home and as I approached home, I shut off my carpc and gave the lights another try. They turned on. In the parking lot made a few more attempts, once they did not turn on, and subsequently they did each time.

I kept thinking it would be the CarPC drawing too much power but then again I've had a CarPC longer than I've had the HIDs, never had nay problems, and even if I have a new CarPC (installed last week-end) I did not change the specs in terms of power demands (V, Amps) in fact I did not touch the power source and the battery to which both the HIDs and the PC power source are connected. And I do have a new battery, purchased in October (1 mo ago). Yes, I do not drive my car as a daily driver anymore, but this occurrence happened right after I had just completed a 20 mile drive. And I always crank up the car with the headlights off. Maybe I would occasionally (once every 6 months) forget but never had an issue.

I first thought I blew a fuse but then I kept thinking maybe my alternator is not charging the battery well. Anyone knows what the alternator voltage should be so I can have a quick diagnostic on that at least ? Any other thoughts on how to diagnose this ? The fuse is obviously not blown and the headlights do work.

Thanks.

Very easy. Unplug your OEM plug from your ballast and test the power with a test light or voltmeter. If you do not have either, get a standard bulb and plug it in the harness. If they turn on and off normally then it is your ballasts. They are cheaply made, and it is not a question of will they fail, but when will they fail.

GL

X

---

it might be the battery also. In cold temperatures batteries have trouble producing enough voltage for a lot of things. Check to see what the cranking voltage is on your car when you are turning on the car and check it also when it is running and when you turn on the lights. From these measurements you can tell if it is the battery. I believe the cranking voltage is supposed to be something like 9.6 or something like that (you'll want to verify this somewhere first of course before checking).

Be sure to also check that all connectors/splices are tight and still weathersealed.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived