LegacyGT.com

Engine Area Leaks need Explaination (Vid)

pictures explain best. it's easy to hit this and damage it when doing uppipe installs (specifically when pulling the stock uppipe out from the bottom), causing leaks.

Dang I want to see the insides of mine. Too bad I dont have the balls to do it knowing I have to use in Tuesday AM!

What the heck how could my bolt get loose. Wackness! I heard the Subies werent reliable.

What the heck how could my bolt get loose. Wackness! I heard the Subies werent reliable.

The bolt doesn't get loose, over time the seal contracts. If the bolt was at the low end of the torque spec...it's just a thought...and it's cheap to check it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thats chill... Looking for the torque spec now

go to the low end of the spec to start. FWIW, Honda's are known to snap the VC covers if you go much more then 5 or 6 ftlbs. If that much. just use a 1/4 ratchet and snug it up with one hand, DON'T over tighten it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No parts store has a torque wrench that fits the space.

I have not hand-tightened because it is a tight spot (see last pic).

From what I have read, the cam seals, along with the main seals, are jobs that have to be done when the engine is pulled out.

Is that correct?

If it is, this may mean that I should get the engine pulled and have a bunch of seals, belts, cleaning work done to make this thing go from 110K to 250K.

The oil keeps seeping out (slowly) now even oil is dripping from above the oil filter space (might be that damn fram).

Got some SoA filters and 0W-40 Mobil one to start using. I have a feeling my 100k of Penzoil and Fram Filters have not been helping maintain the health of this engine by FAR.

Max C and Subietonic good looking out.

• 2 weeks later...

how difficult was the removal of the valve cover? Pretty tight in there. I think I am having the same issue. Is this a do it yourself or bring somewhere.

I went to the dealer last week and they thought it might be the gasket on top of the oil cooler,which I replaced.

Thanks

Found burnt oil residue on the upper portion valve cover. Is this a bad sign?

That's not a big issue. Most engines suffers from that. It's not really oil residue but rather contaminants that the oil has dissolved that has a higher melting point and sticks to the inside of the cover because it's colder than the melting point for the residue.

Nothing to worry about, amount may somewhat depend on oil change interval but also how much oil that actually flows over that surface. If there is only a minor mist in the area then the residue isn't washed away but sticks instead.

If you can find something that dissolves it and makes it easy to wash away it's fine but you can leave it as is too without any concerns. Any specs that may fall off are caught by the oil filter.

453747.png

Hey man,

You should clean your engine with something like that B-12 stuff referred to me earlier, drive, and then check the engine for the source of the leak. Buy a powerful hand held flashlight and investigate.

Changing the passengerside on this model is doable but requires patience. It is a tight squeeze. You do have to remove the intake. Many people do this when they do the timing belt (I presume because they can remove the timing belt covers which can allow for an easier removal and mounting of the cover).

Main issue is not over tightening the bolts and not losing the proper placement of the seals when reinstalling.

Hit me up if you choose to do it

how difficult was the removal of the valve cover? Pretty tight in there. I think I am having the same issue. Is this a do it yourself or bring somewhere.

I went to the dealer last week and they thought it might be the gasket on top of the oil cooler,which I replaced.

Thanks

Any pictures or how to for the LegGT would be appreciated. The linked walkthrough was for the WRX. Certainly helps to explain how to tackle a valve cover, but any specific GT info is always helpful.

One quesiton - any clearance issues with the timing belt cover or other obstructions? I know there are a couple hoses on the top of the cover that would need to be removed.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Keep in mind, your header and uppipe are directly beneath the right side head. If your valve cover is leaking, which from the picture it appears as tho it is, it will drip down onto your exhaust (seeping into the heat sheilds)

Yeah what ^ said ..

Archived