LegacyGT.com

Legacy that has wierd Tail lights

First I want to introduce my self. I live in South Central Alaska. I am getting a 1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan with a 5 speed 4wd. It needs a new clutch because the one that is in it is slipping pretty bad but I have a friend who is going to help me replace it since he had dug into his fair share of subarus and knows them just about in and out.

Well the other thing that this car does that is strange is that When I turn on the head lights the Tail lights do not turn on at all, How ever when i turn on the parking lights they will turn on. My friend said that on his 90 and 91 that his both turn on the tail lights when he turns on his head lights on on both cars. So If I turn on the running lights and the parking lights every thing runs (so its legal to drive) but I HAVE to turn on the parking lights for them to turn on. Has any one heard of this? Is this normal or a commen problum?

I am getting the car for $400. Its a 1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L with a 5 speed tranny. It also has 163,000 miles on it but I know several people right now that have over 400,000 on there subys and still running the original engines and trannys so Im not to worried about the milage. The engine runs very smothe and strong (well seemed strong was slipping the clutch when it was reved up) and every thing else seemed to work fine aside from the clutch and tail lights.

Archived