LegacyGT.com

Trade in Question

rob_m

After months of waiting and motivated by the May incentives, I went to my local dealer to buy an 05 GT LTD auto today. Part of the deal hinges on trade in of my 99 GT LTD 30th Sedan with 120k. Purchased and maintained by this dealer. <rant on> Oh yeah, 3 of the 4 Subies I have owned were purchased at this dealer, and they have serviced all 4 of them. <rant off>.

The best they would offer was published invoice on the new GT and $3k wholesale value on my car. Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds place trade-in value of my GT between 5,300 and 6,100. I walked out. No call - yet.

It was pouring rain this morning. I was the only customer in the dealer. Are GT's in that much demand? I have been tracking their inventory for the past 6 months. GT's are not exactly flying off the lot.

I believe that less than invoice is not out of the question. The bigger question - do I accept wholesale for the trade-in, or hold out for a better offer?

2006 models come out next month, with nice upgrades. I'd either get an 06 or wait until then to get a good deal on 05.

EDIT: you ain't gonna get any good deal at the beginning of a month anyway.

This Space For Rent

A> you wont get a good deal the first week of the month, ever. You need to wait towards the end of the month where they are looking to close out their quotas and are willing to deal.

B> The problem with your car is that while there may be absolutly nothing wrong with it, they cant sell it. Usually cars with over 100K automatically get sold off to a wholesaler and end up auctioned off somewhere. Have you concidered selling the car yourself?

C> Check out this link, a dealer local to you asking 10 grand for a similar car http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182222614&dealer_id=72699&car_year=1999&make=SUB&distance=100&lang=&max_price=&model=LEGACY&sort_type=mileageDESC&end_year=2001&min_price=&certified=&address=02474&search_type=both&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1999&cardist=79

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

A> you wont get a good deal the first week of the month, ever. You need to wait towards the end of the month where they are looking to close out their quotas and are willing to deal.

B> The problem with your car is that while there may be absolutly nothing wrong with it, they cant sell it. Usually cars with over 100K automatically get sold off to a wholesaler and end up auctioned off somewhere. Have you concidered selling the car yourself?

C> Check out this link, a dealer local to you asking 10 grand for a similar car http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182222614&dealer_id=72699&car_year=1999&make=SUB&distance=100&lang=&max_price=&model=LEGACY&sort_type=mileageDESC&end_year=2001&min_price=&certified=&address=02474&search_type=both&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1999&cardist=79

You have a point. The dealer wont get anything above wholesale / "blowout" price for your trade. Consider working your best deal without a trade and sell your car yourself. Pain in the butt maybe but a way to get more for your trade.

Thanks for the advice. I know about dealing at the end of month, however a system upgrade at work will be keeping me occupied (and employed) well into June.

I'll consider selling myself. At this point I would look for kbb trade value.

Keep it as a beater, it will probably last 100k more.

Mojo

I have one - it's my wife's 03 Outback wagon!

Sounds like I don't have as much leverage in the deal as I thought. Rob M.

Archived