LegacyGT.com

Please help me determine this drivetrain noise...

mschmidt

All,

I have a typical stage 2 05' LGT 5MT with 90K miles. I put in the ACT HD clutch and 06' WRX FW about 2 years ago. Besides having to add the clutch fork return spring it has been fine.

Over the last six months I had a passenger front wheel bearing and axle boot go so I just replaced them both with a new hub assembly and OEM passenger half shaft this weekend.

- The noise "Whining" is rpm and gear related

- I can only hear the noise while in gear and on the throttle or when I am in neutral coasting.

- It is quiet when in gear but off the throttle coasting.

- It appears to be coming from the trans??

- It can best be heard in a high gear at lower speeds with slight throttle.

Hope this explains it... let me know guys. thinking this might just be drivetrain noise that has been masked with the bearing

Mike

TOB usually makes noise when the clutch is in when it starts to get crunchy. Does it stop when the clutch pedal is pushed in? Sounds more like other bearings in the transmission making noise when transmission is loaded. Should be able to go from silent to whining when going very lightly on/off throttle while in gear, especially at highway speeds.

"Should be able to go from silent to whining when going very lightly on/off throttle while in gear, especially at highway speeds"

this is exactly the condition I have... the clutch is a bit crunchy and squeaky at times when pushing it in, but it has been that way since I did the swap 2 years ago.

I will look into what happens when I push the clutch in while coasting.

So to clarify... if I'm on the highway in fifth cruising at 75mph:

1) If I am in gear and on the throttle, I hear the whine.

2) If I am in gear and NOT on the throttle, it is quite.

3) If I am in neutral with the clutch out, I hear the whine.

4) If I am in any gear or neutral with the clutch in, I hear the whine.

• 3 weeks later...
So to clarify... if I'm on the highway in fifth cruising at 75mph:

1) If I am in gear and on the throttle, I hear the whine.

2) If I am in gear and NOT on the throttle, it is quite.

3) If I am in neutral with the clutch out, I hear the whine.

4) If I am in any gear or neutral with the clutch in, I hear the whine.

Sounds very similar to the problem I am having. I definitely hear the whine when in 5th gear and on the throttle. When off the throttle or in neutral I think I can still hear it, but hard to tell. In other gears I do not hear the whine, at least not over any road noise, etc.

I'm sure it is transmission bearings. And recently had the dealer confirm that it is one or more transmission bearings.

I know it is not the TOB because I replaced it and the clutch about two months ago.

Archived