LegacyGT.com

Lost axle bolt

about a month ago i got my new tire mounted and put on and well ever since then my right front tire has been balding like crazy. put today when i finnaly got the lugs loose(they crank them so hard i had to go back to have them loosen the one nut.) i saw the axle bolt fall to the ground. could this be what was causeing my tire to were down. i already talking to someone about aliment and he said it was not that casue the tire wore so even and i have no pull in my car at all.

i got the nut back on and peaned good this time.

If that nut falls off, the hub can actually come apart while you are driving.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It might not be the fault of the people who put the parts in. They are only supposed to be hand tight (no impact guns should be used) so they don't destroy the wheel bearing. If you get a chance replace the hub nut because thats supposed to hold and not loosen

at hand tight

it was not there fault. no one has touched that nut but me. and yes, it was all the way off and i didnt notice anything.

what you mean hand tight? i went to the local auto shop to get a wrench that big and let me go out in the lot and snug it up. they said to crank it. but i think i know what you mean.. the bearings are tapered rollor bearings and the tighter you get the more the bearing "slides into itselt" i doubt i got it to tight. i didnt jack the car up to do it.

the hub not will lossen if you dont pean it. rshaw123

so we are talking about the axle nut, 32mm, it fell off of the end of the axle??

how long has the axle/ nut been in the car? when was the last time you loosened that nut?

and my book says, driveaxle nut 123 - 151 ft. lbs. and i think the term hand tight is mis-leading. the nut should be torqued by hand with a torque wrench, not driven on with an impact gun. (for the matter so should the lug nuts, an impact gun can over torque them and warp the hub and or rotor.)

also if you drive around with the nut off and axle loose in the hub you will kill your bearings. the hub will loosen up. the axle nut / stub does not ''set'' the wheel bearings, but if the nut is off it changes the stress on the hub and bearings.

jack the wheel up and see if there is any play in the wheel. put your hand on the coil spring and slowly rotate the wheel. see if you can feel any vibration in the spring.

i have had my 97 GT aligned at merchant's tire 3 times in the last 19 months and it still ate a set of tires. this was because the idiots never adjusted the camber bolt, top strut to knuckle bolt. i complained and they aligned it again while i watched. when it got to be time for the camber adjustment, their computerized alignment machine told them they needed to get aftermarket cam bolts. so they never even tried to adjust the camber. no wonder i wore out a set of tires.

so you need an alignment. and your bearings may start making a waa waa sound while driving, worse in turns.

Wow, I was thinking one of the hub studs, not the axle bolt and stud. There should be a crimp on the nut and a notch in the stud so that this doesn't occur. I went to 135 with mine, crimped it (all after I replaced a cv), and haven't had any issues.

Archived