LegacyGT.com

Best 0-60 performance from S or S#

Even after 3 years, I still wonder if I get better performance from a dead stop when using the default "S" mode vs "S#" in my 2008 LGT 5EAT.

From what I understood, the "i" mode has the car perform close to the specs and fuel consumption as the i model... to a point, the GT still consumes more gas though.

The "S" stood for sport... which is the default position... 1:1 throttle ratio (drive by wire) meaning what you push is what you get.

The "S#" stood for sport sharp, and basically doubled the accelerator. 20% throttle = 40% power.

What I seem to notice is that when I have the car in S#... I get better highway performance. Pulls from a rolling start, passing, general acceleration while cruising.

When I'm in "S" mode, I notice that the car has a better 0-60 time, a better top end but a slower 60+ acceleration.

Now, I'm not sure it's a rumor or if it's true, but I heard that the "S" mode is 1:1 ratio from 0-100% of the throttle position. "S#" is 2:1 ratio up to 90% total power, meaning 45% throttle position = 90% total power... also, you cannot go completely WOT in S#, only in S.

I've only ever had slippage from dead starts in S.

Anyone else have any insight on the VDC mappings?

From what I understood, the "i" mode has the car perform close to the specs and fuel consumption as the i model... to a point, the GT still consumes more gas though. No it makes it more 'smooth' when you accelerate normal, good for when you have people in your car....it also makes less boost

What I seem to notice is that when I have the car in S#... I get better highway performance. Pulls from a rolling start, passing, general acceleration while cruising.

Well you think you get better performance...if you press the accel pedal 50% in S# your almost pressing the pedal 90% in S mode

Now, I'm not sure it's a rumor or if it's true, but I heard that the "S" mode is 1:1 ratio from 0-100% of the throttle position. "S#" is 2:1 ratio up to 90% total power, meaning 45% throttle position = 90% total power... also, you cannot go completely WOT in S#, only in S.

You can go WOT throttle in S#, if you press the pedal ~60%, the throttle body opens 100%, but people say it opens 98% in S#

Anyone else have any insight on the VDC mappings?

IMO it takes a lot for it to activate. Isnt VDC for slip control? I only had it really activate when I took a 270degree freeway onramp floored it while it was raining and the back of the car started sliding out(oversteer). If the freeway road was straight the car was at a 40degree angle to the right before VDC kicked in to brake one of the rear wheels

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Also, I believe the factory boost control selenoid limits the boost in the three different modes. I had my car open source tuned and we tuned three different boost levels depending on the mode. 13/15/17 psi respectively. this was straight from romraider while I was in the car.

For crying out loud, this SI thing is really turning into a rumor mill.

The only thing the SI mode selector does it change the response map between the accelerator pedal position and the throttle position. It is basically changing how the car responds to your foot.

In "I" mode the throttle is restricted to about 60% open at full pdel movement. This results in a lower peak boost as the ECU sees you not at WOT.

The main difference between "S" and S#" is that the map responds quicker to your foot in S#. You get full throttle open with both, you just get it sooner with S#. I think S# had the throttle wide open at around 80% pedal travel (meaning the other 20% is useless.

Personally, I leave the car in S and adjsut the throttle maps manually (as in i move my foot more/less).

For crying out loud, this SI thing is really turning into a rumor mill.

The only thing the SI mode selector does it change the response map between the accelerator pedal position and the throttle position. It is basically changing how the car responds to your foot.

In "I" mode the throttle is restricted to about 60% open at full pdel movement. This results in a lower peak boost as the ECU sees you not at WOT.

The main difference between "S" and S#" is that the map responds quicker to your foot in S#. You get full throttle open with both, you just get it sooner with S#. I think S# had the throttle wide open at around 80% pedal travel (meaning the other 20% is useless.

Personally, I leave the car in S and adjsut the throttle maps manually (as in i move my foot more/less).

Exactly! It's one big electronic gimmick from Subaru. When I was stock I preferred the response in S#, despite the car having the same performance, but the way it "feels" is all mental.

Now that I'm stage 2 I can't keep it in S#, it's way too sensitive. I just keep it in S now.

Also, I believe the factory boost control selenoid limits the boost in the three different modes. I had my car open source tuned and we tuned three different boost levels depending on the mode. 13/15/17 psi respectively. this was straight from romraider while I was in the car.

Excellent idea, I wish I did something like that.

My friend with a stock 05 STi drove my car when it was still stock. He was kind ho-hum about it till I put it in S# and he thought it drove close to his STi. Like you said, all mental. I haven't let him drive it since it's at stage 2.5+ :)

Archived