LegacyGT.com

Possible to replace A/C compressor clutch?

Okay, so my 2006 LGT had the "crank pulley delamination" problem, which led to a thrown A/C belt and destroyed wiring harness (detailed here). I've replaced the crank pulley, and am now pondering what I'm going to do about the A/C (or lack thereof).

In looking at where the harness is destroyed, I am thinking that the harness may really be integral only to the clutch assembly as opposed to being integral to the compressor itself. I have a junkyard compressor on the way, and am wondering what the chances are of being able to replace only the clutch itself. This would be all kinds of kick@$$, since I wouldn't have to worry about the R134a, recharging,etc.

The service manual makes no mention of the clutch assembly being replaceable, but that's not exactly out of the ordinary even in cases where it really is. Has anyone been down this path already?

Thanks!

-Bob

ill have to look at my car, its at work now, but almost every other car has a serviceable clutch, i wouldnt doubt our cars do too. ive replaced many of them on other vehicles. youll need to find a clearance specification, and measure it with a feeler gauge to ensure proper operation though.

ill have to look at my car, its at work now, but almost every other car has a serviceable clutch, i wouldnt doubt our cars do too. ive replaced many of them on other vehicles. youll need to find a clearance specification, and measure it with a feeler gauge to ensure proper operation though.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I've got a set of feeler gauges, I'll have to see if I can come up with a spec.

Update:

Well, that was easy ... per the factory service manual:

1. MAGNETIC CLUTCH CLEARANCE

Check the clearance of entire circumference

around the drive plate and pulley.

Standard:

0.45-0.15 mm (0.0177-0.0059 in)

Thanks!

-Bob

according to fred beans they don't sell the clutch separate. the ac compressor is big money. i found one on ebay. yet to install it though....

Yeah, I picked up the compressor on eBay as well ... <$100 shipped, so I'm not complaining! If I can get away with not cracking open the sealed system, though, I can avoid buying a vacuum pump and A/C manifold gauge set (or paying someone to do the work).

Hopefully with a chain wrench and impact wrench, the bolt won't be too big a deal. Compressor is supposed to arrive today and I've got the afternoon off, so we'll find out soon enough.

-Bob

The replacement compressor arrived today. The job to remove and replace the clutch was very straightforward, involving only one 10mm bolt and a couple of snap rings, and the A/C is once again working. I took lots of pictures along the way and will post a detailed walkthrough of the job this weekend.

Since I only used the magnet pack off of the replacement compressor (reusing the pulley and clutch from my existing compressor), I didn't bother measuring the clearance or anything. Everything was operational beforehand, so I have no reason to think that anything was out of adjustment.

-Bob

UPDATE:

Walkthrough posted here.

Archived