LegacyGT.com

Anyone tried an HID kit for 9006 fogs (08-09)?

RabidWombat

How do you aim your fogs I've never been able to figure it out?

08/09 are different than 05-07, they made aiming a serious PITA. The adjustment screw is on the back of the fog light housing, just to the left of where the bulb goes.

You need to access from underneath the car. A lift/jack is ideal, but I was able to use the transition between a flat garage and steep sloped driveway to get enough room.

Turn the wheel all the way to the outside. Remove 3 pop-its, two on the outside, the 3rd is a phillips screw (twist 1/4 turn to loosen) pop-it mounted near the tow loop. With these removed you should be able to shove the plastic under-tray back enough to give you access to the back of the fog light housing.

The adjustment screw has a black plastic screw cover around it, preventing you from actually seeing the screw head. A small mirror might be helpful for locating it the first time. I used a phillips driver bit mounted in a small racheting socket wrench for turning it. Start turning the screw and you should be able to see the fog light moving with respect to the bezel.

Proper aiming is the hardest part since the car is at a weird angle due to needing to get under it. I put on a pair of sunglasses, stood about 25 feet away and move my head until I was directly looking into the headlights. I then adjusted the lights until they were about 4 in below the center of the headlights.

• 1 year later...

When you say plug and play - i get the harnesses and wiring all plug into existing connectors and the relay is a breeze - but is the bulb designed to twist into the original housing? I have a slim kit from diode dynamics and the bulb just has a piece of metal and then a rubber grommet. Not really sure how this secures into the existing fog housing. Looking for advice and/or if i need to get a real kit that works better with 08-09 fogs.

So I installed a 3000K 35W Apexcone V2 set into my fogs this weekend.

Installation wasn't too bad, the kit was completely plug and play. The hardest part is figuring out where to put the ballasts. The Apexcone ballasts are pretty huge, making them rather difficult to fit. I eventually decided to use some 3M mounting tape and stick them directly to the top of the fog light housing. If you can figure how to remove the front bumper cover (I couldn't), the best place to mount them is the back or underside of the bumper beam. The DDM slims might be a better bet for a 35W system, because they'd be easier to fit.

When I first turned on the fogs, I was not impressed by the color. There's still a significant amount blue, giving the lights a yellowish-green tinge. When I tried the lights last night I was SHOCKED how much more light they put out. They completely light up the road. I'm a bit concerned about glare and aiming, but I need someone to help me judge how bad it is.

There's no reason to use a relay for a 35W system. The stock fog lights are 55W, so the stock wiring is sufficient to handle the momentary start-up surge current (~6A ~ 75W). The housings should be able to handle the heat load of a 55W system, given that HIDs are more efficient. I would recommend getting a relay for a 55W HID install.

The HIDs take about 20 seconds to warm-up, which isn't an issue for me because I only use them in poor weather and don't turn them on/off rapidly.

I had originally thought the stock fogs were 35W, if I'd known they were 55W I would've gone with a HIR2 to 9006 conversion. I would recommend people try that route before going to the hassle of a HID kit. After seeing an HID, I'd say the best option is probably a 55W HID + Lamin-X yellow overlays to fix the color.

When you say plug and play - i get the harnesses and wiring all plug into existing connectors and the relay is a breeze - but is the bulb designed to twist into the original housing? I have a slim kit from diode dynamics and the bulb just has a piece of metal and then a rubber grommet. Not really sure how this secures into the existing fog housing. Looking for advice and/or if i need to get a real kit that works better with 08-09 fogs.

The kit I had just popped into the existing housing.

Archived