LegacyGT.com

91 Legacy 4eat Tranmission problems... Need advice

I just bought this 91 Legacy Wagon it has 120,000 miles and has been excellently maintained. It needed a Wheel Bearing, Cv Joint, and some new tires.

Now, it has a major transmission problem. the car seems fine when it's cold, but after driving a few miles the engine rev's freely. I have talked with a couple of different people, and get a variety of suggestions.

A very good mechanic suggested the pump has failed, but wasn't sure if the part was replaceable.

A local transmission shop wants to rebuild it for $1800.00

I have been looking everywhere for a quality used transmission, but can''t find anything close.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. How did you fix it.

I didn't mention it, but I'm on a pretty tight budget, and that is why I bought 19 year old car.

Thanks!

Quality? Just pull one out of a junk yard for $300. Usually they have a 100 day warranty on parts like that. Worst case scenario it doesnt work. Best case it does for a few years. Old cars get junk parts. Just my opinion. I'm sure a lot of people wont agree with me and tell you to spend a ton more, but to each his own.

Quality? Just pull one out of a junk yard for $300. Usually they have a 100 day warranty on parts like that. Worst case scenario it doesnt work. Best case it does for a few years. Old cars get junk parts. Just my opinion. I'm sure a lot of people wont agree with me and tell you to spend a ton more, but to each his own.

I agree. Transmissions might even be cheaper depending on the yard - I know they are here in upstate NY.

If you get a trans that works, put in some fresh fluid and a filter and you might be able to get some faithful service out of the old girl.

Archived