LegacyGT.com

dumb (?) question re: hood scoop

Do leaves and other debris get clogged up in the hood scoop? What about the snow and ice in the winter? Does the engine compartment get super dirty as a result of the hood scoop?

Is there some sort of a pre-filter in the intake? Is it costly or labor-intensive to keep clean?

Subaru's been using this design for a few years now, even though it knows people will be driving in all types of conditions. I guess it's not a big deal?

leaves can get inside, just may need to pop the hood an pull them out.

Snow and ice are not a problem.

As far as "prefilter" there is an air filter if thats what you mean.

Shouldn't have any problems...

just don't get water on your Interc00ler.

water is fine, but soap will melt it. lol (just kidding of course) I haven't had any problem with anything getting in the hood scoop. The areodynamics of the hood usually keep stuff from flying in. I'm sure there will be stuff that gets in eventually, but nothing much different than what gets on your windshield.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCD, I was looking at your site. Please provide more details on painting your calipers. I'm certainly not competent to dismantle my brakes to paint the calipers. So you just used a sponge brush? What about the nooks and crannies?

mele63 -

Removing the caliper/rotor is always the best way, but if you're careful and take your time, you can very easily paint the calipers using the brush that is supplied with most "tub" type paint kits. Using the brush, you won't even have to mask off any areas if you're careful.

Unless you're taking your car to shows, painting simply everywhere possible with the wheel removed and the car jacked-up on stands will more than suffice to make your calipers appear "dipped" upon even the most careful visual inspection from outside the vehicle.

There are also spray caliper/rotor paint kits available, but those, obviously, will require masking of unpainted parts. Don't worry about -a little- overspray on your rotors, as just like rotor surface rust, it'll burn right off the first few times you put on your brakes.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The WRX's scoop ate just about anything. (poor tweety) Not sure about Legacy as is still new 3k miles. Hate bending fins picking pebbles out of intercooler with tweezers.

OCD, I was looking at your site. Please provide more details on painting your calipers. I'm certainly not competent to dismantle my brakes to paint the calipers. So you just used a sponge brush? What about the nooks and crannies?

I sent you a PM on how I did the calipers. Like you mentioned, I just used a foam brush. Here's the thread from when I did it originally.

Sorry for the thread hijack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled hood scoop discussion which is already in progress.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived