LegacyGT.com

You must swear to only use your superpowers for good (ticket)

I'm not proud. I stepped outside a bunch of my own guidelines, and will very likely be paying for it. ($)

I was behind an Rx8 this morning and noted him make an agressive but legal pass of an Outback. I made the pass too, just a little more deliberately.

At the next light I deliberately lined up behind him, not along side, and with a generous bumper to bumper gap to boot because usually, if you don't start nuthin there won't be nuthin, right? And besides, I didn't have anything to prove to myself - and why not let him enjoy his fine handling automobile.

Well, everything was fine for about the next mile when we both made a right hand turn onto an uphill onramp onto the interstate.

Uphill in an Rx8 translates to something that'll get in an Accord's way, and there I am in 2nd at about 40 with all that torque, so I signal and start going around, not to smoke him, just rolling on... and I catch a glimpse of what looks like a downshift and a little lunge of his car and....

I was weak. I was wrong. I sensed there was the potential for a situation and I still let it develop.

My right foot went down and I'm sure it was over before I made the 2-3, but I didn't lift until after I made the 3-4. About 3 seconds later he goes by on the right and darts for the offramp - which is just when I see CT's finest (and I don't mean that sarcastically) in the rearview. I'm done. It's over. (Hell, even if you just come out of 3rd hard and don't even engage 4th you are going to drift up into the possibility of needing a ride home range.)

The Trooper waited a while to light them up, I'd managed to get it back down to 60, and I found a really safe place to get completely off the road, drop both windows, shut her down, get my paperwork out, and wait paitently with my hands in plain sight on the wheel. It was as amiable as it could be, and I got written for 30 over (instead of the 40+ over that it was so that I could still drive to work that day) with a reminder to take it easy so that neither I nor anybody else got hurt. I had it coming.

I'm pissed that I didn't exhibit more self control. Maybe I don't 'need' stage 2 - maybe I need a real loud exhaust that'll keep me from using the top half of the tach - or massive rims and tires that won't accelerate - or to real-time it to 'valet mode' so that my rev limiter is set to 3 grand - and of course to swear to only use my superpowers for good. :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eeeeshh... I was enjoying the story till you got to the 30 over part. 20 over is where the fine jumps from $50 bucks to $180 bucks around here. 30 over is another big jump. ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch Definitely talk to someone at the court before you pay the fine. There may be an option for you where you don't get the points on this one. You probably won't be able to avoid the fine, but you can avoid having your insurance know about it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Wow. That sucks dude. But it sounds as if you're aware you were in the wrong.....which a lot of people don't nowadays....they'd simply be pissed off at the officer for clocking them breaking the limit by 30 or 40. I also would take it to court or get a lawyer to get the speed reduced (it's common for them to do that), so your insurance won't be affected. It's worth it to pay the $300 to a lawyer if it saves you 1000's down the line in insurance premiums. Good luck.

In Connecticut the incentives seem to be weighted towards pleading 'no contest' and paying the fine* as opposed to going to court -

*14219© Speeding on a multiple lane limited access highway where actual speed is between 81 & 85 mph = $284.

12. Will I get "points" on my driver's license?

• If you make your payment in full to the Centralized Infractions Bureau, no points will be assessed by the Department of Motor Vehicles against your driver's license, however it will appear on your driving history.
  • Points are only given if there is a conviction (a finding of guilty) or a bond forfeiture, after a court hearing.
  • For more information about the Connecticut DMV, call Driver Services at 860-236-5720 for general information or visit the DMV website at http://www.ct.gov/dmv/.

13. Will my insurance company find out about my ticket and raise my insurance premium/rates?

• Insurance companies usually check driver's histories before issuing a new policy. Your driver's history will show if you have paid a fine for a motor vehicle infraction or violation, or if a court has found you guilty of an infraction or violation.
  • Decisions about insurance rates and premiums are up to the insurance company.

( http://www.jud.state.ct.us/faq/traffic.html )

Radar detectors can give you a false sense of security and make you more reckless if you don't know how to recognize vulnerable situations ahead of time and will totally eliminate any hint of self control, but they can be a Get-Out-Jail-For-Free card when you over do it.

My "dead friend" was clocked at 25+ in a 65, the cop reduced it to 15+ because he didn't exhibit any recklessness and stopped promptly and safely. My friend knew it was only a slap on the wrist especially that it is out of state and he wasn't clocked at the LGT's limiter. You know which limiter.;)

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Sucks that you got caught. These cars require a bit of respect. Good luck with the ticket (I say fight it, maybe even hire a lawyer).

Check the previous posts - if I pony up the cash there's no points and no admission of guilt - if I walk into court I might get the fine reduced but unless the cop just plain doesn't show - and I wouldn't know that until long after I pleaded out with a prosecutor - I would be guilty and 'pointable' even if it is at a lesser speed.

Check the previous posts - if I pony up the cash there's no points and no admission of guilt - if I walk into court I might get the fine reduced but unless the cop just plain doesn't show - and I wouldn't know that until long after I pleaded out with a prosecutor - I would be guilty and 'pointable' even if it is at a lesser speed.

Hmm. I read that but I guess I didn't understand it. Well if it means no points that is all that matters!

I can all but guarantee that you'll get points. If it were as easy as pleading "no contest" to a speeding charge and you'd get no points, then everyone in the state of CT would do that. Plus it's still possible that your insurance will see that and raise your rates anyway. I say go with a lawyer. Talk to him also about that law posted earlier, see if it actually works. I think it's the safest bet.

Archived