LegacyGT.com

Leaking head gasket?

Just other stuff, heads were checked and within spec, not warped or any other damage. Gaskets were leaking oil externally, and coolant into the number 3 cylinder, but no head problems. Final price was $300 because I had to get the new rad hose and an O2 sensor. Not bad considering what it would have cost at a shop.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

650.00 parts and labor including head resurfacing is cheap.

Yes it's a reasonable price, but what I was saying was that 650 is a lot of money for me to come up with.

The shop brought it down to 500 with parts and labor, this does not include head resurfacing.

• 3 months later...

So I had the shop replace my head gasket back in November and the car started leaking again last week, this time it's the opposite side head gasket and the rear main seal, looks like they're going to have to pull the engine to do the repairs. :(

I'm starting to lose faith in Subaru.

If you read my other thread you know I have a 2000 apart with 58,000 miles. Catostrophic belt failure from a frt end collision bent the intakes on the left bank.

Anyway just wanted to mention the left head gasket was leaking oil at the bottom rear. The rear main is dry. My machine shop is doing both heads and mentioned they see a lot of Subaru heads. Mater of fact there was an identical set sitting ready for pickup. He also reccomended using the Subaru head gaskets. So I ordered those from the dealer but ordered Felpro for all the others and the head bolts. I considered reusing the bolts but given the gasket problems I thought not.

I pulled the engine. Looked pretty rough getting at the heads in the car. But maybe I'm just getting old.

I was pretty upset when I first discovered the hidden damage. But we are keeping this one so hopefully with the belt, valve job and gaskets done it will be good to go till at least 160,000mi.

Yeah the head gasket that was replaced last november is as dry as a bone, it's the opposite side this time.

Maybe it's time to trade in and upgrade to a GT???

Why didn't you do BOTH at the same time?? Not hating on you or anything, but the shop should have suggested it to you at least or you should have asked us :(

Its like changing the water pump with the Timing belt. However the bad HGs was very common on the EJ251's but I have heard of the HG's failing on the earlier BL's (05-06)

Sorry for your troubles but you may be able to get the other head done and sell the car problem free for more than trying to trade it in with a bad HG

I honestly have no idea why the shop didn't suggest doing both at the same time and I didn't know that's how they're supposed to be done. I've been having a lot of people tell me that I should've done both in the first place.

You can't tell that the car has a blown head gasket, it runs fine but it just leaks about 1/2 a quart of oil every couple months and has began to worsen but the driveability of the car has not changed at all thankfully.

I'm just going to stick with it, It's more cost effective to just pay for the repairs.

Hey I have a question though; how long do the transmissions usually last on these cars?

edit: it's a 4EAT

Had this happen to me a little over a year ago with my 05 impeza 2.5rs. Leaking coolant internally. Dealer wanter $2800 to do both sides and have the heads machined. I ended up trading it in for the leggy instead.

Apparently external leaks on the newer headgaskets aren't uncommon. My left head gasket has been sweating since day one and it now has around 10k miles. I'll probably try to get the dealers to replace it before the warranty runs out.

I got both head gaskets replaced Jan 09 and I drove less than 18000 miles since. It was under warranty in A dealer. I went to B dealer to change the oil on Tuesday and they said it leaked. I will go back to A dealer to discuss about that. In two years less than 20000 miles, the gaskets are leaking again.. Come on...
From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

I got both head gaskets replaced Jan 09 and I drove less than 18000 miles since. It was under warranty in A dealer. I went to B dealer to change the oil on Tuesday and they said it leaked. I will go back to A dealer to discuss about that. In two years less than 20000 miles, the gaskets are leaking again.. Come on...

One guy that was on these forums from TX had a leaking HG on his 09 2.5i :eek: he discovered it while attempting to install UEL header :lol:

I check my HG's every oil change b/c I am paranoid from other owners stories. I feel that I should buy a spare EJ253 and just have it waiting fully assembled so if/when something crazy happens I won't have much down time ;)

If you look at the Consumer Reports data, major engine issues with the 2.5i pretty much ended with the 2005 model year. It literally goes from solid black(real bad) pre 2005 to solid/part red(good) from 2005 on. I would say it is pretty much resolved, but their will inevitably some that continue to fail as all engines will have a certain percentage of problems. Only the 2.5i turbos seem to continue to have major issues, which I would expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back on Friday, drove it 350 miles yesterday and this morning I find a huge puddle of oil underneath the car :(

The dipstick is showing that the car is way overfull on oil even after leaving a large puddle.

:( the problems continue!

Sounds like you have a super competent dealer on your hands!!! >:-o

They probably thought someone drained the oil, then put 4.5 more quarts in on top of that. Hopefully it blew some stuff so you can get some free stuff (long block) in exchange.

Got the car back on Friday, drove it 350 miles yesterday and this morning I find a huge puddle of oil underneath the car :(

The dipstick is showing that the car is way overfull on oil even after leaving a large puddle.

:( the problems continue!

This was the exact situation that led me to replace my head gaskets, oil kept going up by itself, and once it got to about 1qt over full it would cause a big oil leak when parked. Is your coolant low at all?

Archived