LegacyGT.com

Strange idle noise

I have noticed a strange soft ticking, but not quite, sound coming from the dash area at idle (fully warmed up car). Not really sure how to describe it. Something between a tick, flutter and a rattle at a low volume but audible over the sound of the engine idling. What is stranger is it persists for about 20 seconds after shutting off the engine and removing the key and then suddenly stops completely. I thought it might be related to the AC but I didnt use the AC or fan the other day and noticed it was still there. Car is a completely stock 2005 LGTL 5mt wagon. Searched pages of strange noises without any luck so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My GF's 05 GT 5mt doesnt make that sound. Very strange. Are there any pumps or anything that run for a period after the car is turned off? I never noticed it before a few weeks ago and I am concerned.

I ocassionally get weird ticks and noises once in a while, whether its a cold start or fully warmed up. could be moisture, could be something caught, i doubt your car is going to blow up but the fact that is making the noise after the car is shut off is making me wonder if it could be more serious. but thats why im guessing a fan. good luck man, keep me updated

Thanks. I have an appointment tomorrow at Rafferty to have them check it out and the wheel bearings too. It sounds like the front left is starting to go. I still have a little warranty left so I am trying to milk it for all that I can.

Im actutally getting the same noises in my 05. The noise reminds me when you have a cd playing and you keep on skipping tracks, but its never ending. What's funny is that I had an a4 before the lgt that made the same noises once you shut the engine off. So i just left it alone. Still curious on what's causing it though.

• 3 weeks later...
The odd noise was the mode control actuator motor for the vents acting up. They told me it may eventually fail but it doesn't seem a big concern to me at the moment. I am just happy to know it isn't something worse. I cycled through the vent positions a few times and it settled down. It currently only exhibits the fluttering infrequently and less severely so cycling through the vent positions occasionally is probably a good idea.

Archived