LegacyGT.com

ABS light + Er 55

mattg

Hub was replaced yesterday and it looks like it didn't fix anything. Still have the ABS light and can still hear a slight low speed clicking coming from the RF.

Mechanic checked it out again thoroughly, ran it on the rack and couldn't hear the noise. He did hear it after the hub was replaced and we drove the car.

I haven't checked the codes yet to see if anything changed.

Kind of frustrating paying $225 for a proactive wheel bearing replacement, my bearing was fine BTW. I would rather be putting this $$ into suspension mods.

I think we're going to replace the RF sensor next.

Man, that sucks. The first time I saw the code it took me two weeks to figure it all out. I have the cell phone number of the one and only true Subaru Technical Service Agent. He is the mechanic who travels the country with the all powerful Subie tool. He answers the internal tech questions from dealerships too. He is the one who gave me all the info on the system and how it works. You can check the cables with your meter. You can also verify signal is getting to the ABS Computer.

I feel your pain. If you need to shoot me a PM and I can give you the techs contact info.

Like I said earlier, replace the sensor and buy extras for the other wheels. These things are unreliable and sensitive to the slightest manipulation. I was going nuts trying to figure this out until I finally replaced the sensor. Had same issues as you are having. There is almost no way a front wheel bearing should cause that code. This is electrical, not mechanical. COuld have bought a nice sway bar and endlinks for the price of those un-needed wheel bearings.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the sensor and still have the issue. Nothing changed, same codes etc...

I did call the Subie tech and he is a little stumped by my situation as well. He did say that disconnecting the battery may not clear the codes. That one of the several computers that control the system might be holding onto the codes. He said I could unhook the connector to the ABS control unit and that might clear the codes. He also suggested I take it to a dealer so they could diagnose it with the SSM3 which is the Subaru diagnostic computer/scanner.

My mechanic suggested we slide the RF axle out of the hub assy and take a look there.

No good news but that's where I'm at.

If you had a code for both front wheel sensors, then both of them might need to be replaced. It is a cheap fix, and if this doesn't fix it, you'll need 'em in the future anyhow. Sounds like a frustrating problem. Let us know what finally solves it, so the rest of us know how to fix these things when they inevitably pop up on someone else's ride.

If it was a speed sensor issue the code for the RF would have gone away after I replaced the RF speed sensor.

My next step is getting the car hooked up to a SSM3. I found an independent shop that has one.

And I still have all the codes after unplugging the ABS module and disconnecting the battery overnight.

• 1 month later...

Well this muthaf$%@ing problem is finally solved!

The shop that had the SSM3 was able to isolate the problem to the RR tone ring, it had a ding in it. Finally got that hub swapped for a new OEM last night, problem solved. No more clicking either. I the clicking was actually coming from the ABS module under the hood because of the SS signal problem caused by the dented tone ring. It's funny too, there really is no gap for debris to get in there. Not sure how it happened.

So 5 months and $500 later... Can't tell you how nice it is to not have the clicking, ABS light and to finally be able to use cruise again.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be the same problem I have with my '05 Wagon. My mechanic has looked at my car twice already and still cannot find anything wrong with it. Thankfully he hasn't charged me for anything either. He has disengaged and cleaned the sensors.

The ABS and ER SS don't come up all the time, but usually if I drive the car for more then 20-30 minutes it will show up.

I'm wondering if this will do any damage to my car. I think I hear a clicking sound from the front of the car. Almost like a baseball card stuck in a bicycle spoke. Paul at DB Tuned is a very good mechanic so I trust him. It's just frustrating we cannot solve this.

Is the tone ring expensive to replace? My error code says the left rear wheel.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Mattg,

I am having the exact same problem. I got the codes saying that 3 sensors are giving abnormal readings (both rear and the front right). The front right sensor was replaced just about 5 months ago. The front left wheel hub is also new. I have the front right hub still in the box, but I was waiting for it to go bad before putting it in.

I have no clue what to do from here or what to replace. After reading your problem it sounds like my only option is to take it in to a dealer and have them hook it up to a computer. I would love to get my cruise control back and abs working before winter.

• 1 year later...

Had my ABS light come on during a monster rainstorm going about 60 mph. "ER SS" code showed up, too. Cruise-control also not working; but no CEL. Braking functions fine. It is a 91K '05 5EAT.

I tried restarting it several times, but ABS lite stays on. I'm hoping it was all that water getting into wires, but will check in the morning when all is dried out. Thanks for all the info on this problem from all previous posters!

Edited by Bob in Chicago
typo

• 3 months later...
Thanks. Funny how the manual says the fuse box is under the right side of the drivers seat, when it's actually behind the door on the lower left part of the dash.

So I have codes -

C0115 - means I have a problem with an ABS speed sensor.

C0105 - Abnormal signal from RR speed sensor

C0107 - Abnormal signal from RF speed sensor

Now I'm really confused. I wasn't expecting to see codes from 2 corners. I took it back to America's yesterday and they took a look at it. There was nothing noticeably out of the ordinary.

I may need to get her back on my buddy's lift to take a closer look.

Thoughts?

Exact same codes today. Gonna try this first though...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2794600&postcount=17

• 5 years later...

I just had my LR sensor throw a code. I have replaced two of these over the years (LR,RR) but I have forgotten if there is a way to troubleshoot the sensor. I tested for continuity thinking the sensor is just a coil of wire and the hub has a magnet that would create a "pulse" as it goes by but got nothing (open circuit).

Anyone know if this is a correct way to electrically check the sensor?