LegacyGT.com

PDX Tuning/Infamous1 Stage 1 vs. COBB OTS Stage 1

Dutchman

run on the stock tune meaning out of boost. stock fueling tables are not appropriate for the increased flow of the dp, this is well documented

Which I don't doubt, as I've read it many places many times, but WTF is the point of having a MAF and O2 if it can't correct for more flow?

Cute, search.com. I'm surprised you didn't pull the lmgtfy.com :lol:

I would hope the tune would code out the EGT, but I'll look into it first. Got my VAG-COM cable on Saturday. Fastest free shipping ever. Ordered Thursday night, got it Saturday.

I ordered from this guy (for when the auction link dies):

http://myworld.ebay.com/bcon13

The buy it now page

The MAF is on the intake side, and fuels for the air mass.

The O2 is for AFR, and compensates for AFR.

Neither of these compensate for the behavior of the compressor. The downpipe alters the required behavior to control boost, and what it takes to make certain boost targets. The MAF and O2 can't help with this. The MAP helps, but all it can really do is indicate that something is going wrong (overboost CEL).

At different pressures, you need to run different AFR targets, different timing, etc. The ECU will try its best to reach its targets, but it may fail as it doesn't know what has been altered which is making it unable to hit them.

Yeah you can disable the code in ecuflash or RR. I use a tactrix myself and have disabled a couple tune related codes. The MAF has a window of compensation from the factory, increased flow intakes throw the maf to one side of the window, and it stops there. The window needs to be adjusted and "shifted" for the higher flow rates, aka rescaled. This "window" will alter fuel delivery, so if the intake flows more than the maf can sense(based on ecu), there's likely to not be associated fuel delivery, aka lean. The stock fueling map is less than optimal as you will see when you get your cable up and running and pull a learning view, you'll likely see timing being pulled here and there. Stock maps tend to knock at random spots believe it or not. It's just crap.

That's why I recommend stg 1 tunes, incr in stock performance is huge and very minimal to no knock in the end. Also, the key of open loop fueling I believe, is to use the ecu's fueling and timing maps to provide and not sure if it actually adjusts in that case. Not 100% sure but that is why tuning is so vital in turbo subaru's. If you need help setting up LV, RR, Ecuflash lemme know.

The MAF is on the intake side, and fuels for the air mass.

The O2 is for AFR, and compensates for AFR.

Neither of these compensate for the behavior of the compressor. The downpipe alters the required behavior to control boost, and what it takes to make certain boost targets. The MAF and O2 can't help with this. The MAP helps, but all it can really do is indicate that something is going wrong (overboost CEL).

At different pressures, you need to run different AFR targets, different timing, etc. The ECU will try its best to reach its targets, but it may fail as it doesn't know what has been altered which is making it unable to hit them.

I know what they do and what they're for, thanks ;)

I guess what I didn't think of is this is really only an issue with cars that have ECU controlled boost. I know of other (older) cars which don't require EPROM/ECU adjustments to be made when simply adding breather mods. But then again, their boost isn't controlled by the ECU either.

It's still the same behavior to control boost, just different duty cycle for the wastegate actuation.

bmx045 I'll definitely give you a shout if I need a hand with setting all this up. It sounds pretty straight forward, but I don't want to blow this thing up.

It's worth mentioning that most people who do UP/DP are going for "stage 2", at which point you're not just altering the duty cycle of the WG solenoid, but also boost targets, which means you're going into a different efficiency range of the compressor entirely, and there's a lot more than just the duty cycle involved. So while what you said holds true for "stage 1", it's kind of out the window once you're "stage 2".

Remember the old saying you get what you pay for...I myself will admit I love free stuff though...!

Hey, if you can get me a base Stage 2 tune I'll get it now :) In my original post I cited your overload as the reason I was considering a free tune. My car is at the shop now getting work done, should be ready tomorrow. If I pussyfoot the car home I'll be fine, but I need to get a Stg 2 tune flashed ASAP.

Hey, if you can get me a base Stage 2 tune I'll get it now :) In my original post I cited your overload as the reason I was considering a free tune. My car is at the shop now getting work done, should be ready tomorrow. If I pussyfoot the car home I'll be fine, but I need to get a Stg 2 tune flashed ASAP.

Email me....infamoustuning@yahoo.com

• 3 months later...

Ok I went through gazzilion pages of absolute love for Infamous tuning. I am sold, on my way to get tactrix, now bare with me. I have a HUGE studder, the kind that will almost make you loose your teeth on the steering wheel. I just got the car so I am learning my ways but in general when under moderate accelaration it's ok, slow but ok. When at WOT it pulls like hell but then at around 4k I guess, there is dramatic drop, hesitation for a split seconds and then it continous to pull. My friend sitting on the passanger seat couldn't believe me I am not letting off the gas pedal.

Is stage I Infamous map something that would potentially remedy my problem ?

Ok I went through gazzilion pages of absolute love for Infamous tuning. I am sold, on my way to get tactrix, now bare with me. I have a HUGE studder, the kind that will almost make you loose your teeth on the steering wheel. I just got the car so I am learning my ways but in general when under moderate accelaration it's ok, slow but ok. When at WOT it pulls like hell but then at around 4k I guess, there is dramatic drop, hesitation for a split seconds and then it continous to pull. My friend sitting on the passanger seat couldn't believe me I am not letting off the gas pedal.

Is stage I Infamous map something that would potentially remedy my problem ?

It sounds like something seriously wrong. Try to get someone local to pull logs for you. Any non-stock items on the car (intake, exhaust, anything)? It could be something tune related, but I personally wouldnt be driving a vehicle that has that severe of a hesitation.

The car is bone stock from what I can tell. We looked with my friend up and under and I can't find a single bolt that wouldn't be stock. No leaks whatsoever, car is clean as hell. Checked bango bolt, clean. I am leaning towards ecu rather than mechanical because it always happens the same way at the same time when I step on it. I would say at least 80% throttle.

I still can't decide between OS and AP. I know by now that Infamous tune is superior but I am considering getting AP and loading Infamous tune with it ( possible? )

How does logging with OS works. Is it real time only meaning I will only have diagnostics while laptop hooked up or can I download logs from certain period ? That instatnt feedback and diagnostics is the only advantage of AP the way I see it.

Please advise.

with a 08' spec B, you can use the tactrix v2 cable which includes an SD card slot where you can log. Since you are driving, I am not sure how useful the AP is for reviewing diagnostic info.

it really isn't possible to load anything other then COBB maps in an access port. Also the access port maps are locked so even if u went open source later, you still can't use it.

I'd say the difference in the AP v2 and Open source (in terms of performance and logging) is minor. But the cost saving is great.

Ballparking it:

Accessport - 600 bucks new

this does not include tuning cost.

OS tuning -

Tactrix v2 cable 200 dollars (i've found cheaper)

infamous tuning with 1 month unlimited revisions 179

total: 379 (Still cheaper than the access port alone...)

Oh I hear you and absolutely agree. The only thing that was holding me back was that logging part since I don't see myself driving with laptop on passanger seat all the time. The car and platform in general is new to me so I want to learn, log and try to understand what it's all about so diagnostic, logging part is uber important for me.

SO now I guess I only need boost gauge to have almost all features of AP. Can anyone recommend something subtle, close to OEM looking ? :hide:

with a 08' spec B, you can use the tactrix v2 cable which includes an SD card slot where you can log. Since you are driving, I am not sure how useful the AP is for reviewing diagnostic info.

it really isn't possible to load anything other then COBB maps in an access port. Also the access port maps are locked so even if u went open source later, you still can't use it.

I'd say the difference in the AP v2 and Open source (in terms of performance and logging) is minor. But the cost saving is great.

Ballparking it:

Accessport - 600 bucks new

this does not include tuning cost.

OS tuning -

Tactrix v2 cable 200 dollars (i've found cheaper)

infamous tuning with 1 month unlimited revisions 179

total: 379 (Still cheaper than the access port alone...)

it really isn't possible to load anything other then COBB maps in an access port.

That's odd. I had no trouble loading my Infamous stage 2 e-tune using my AP... flashed the base map, real-timed the revisions, flashed the final map: piece of cake, in fact.

I use the AP as a real time boost gauge, and for logging as well. I leave the tuning to the pros.

Archived