LegacyGT.com

car shakes, feels like car is gona die, and now power at all

so i had a lot of greese on my engine so i decided to take it to car wash and clean everything, so i sprayed everything with engine degreser and and i used hi pressure to wash the engine i covered up wires and stuff like that and after that my car just feels like has A HUGE vacum leak and feels like its going to die if its just ideling and when i give it gas it just accelerates like im pulling a truck and than rpm's just jump and car like pushes me in to the seat and than it slows down and than takes off again and im only pressing like 25% of the gas and i just keep it there on the high way it would be in 3rd and i would floor it, power light would come on and it would not change gear it would just seat at 6.5 rpms and just tries to go ........ what happen????? and my friend says i just got water in the engine and its going to go away and it will be normal again but car been running for like 1-2 hours after the wash.... and belt started making sounds.... =(

Sounds like it could be ignition related. The spark plug wires on these engines fall off if the wind blows too hard so I bet one or two of them came loose when you pressure washed the engine. Its because of the tapered terminal on the coilpack. Pressing each wire back into the coil and using zip ties to secure the rubber boot on the wire to the terminal on the coil usually does the trick. If the engine doesn't throw a "Check Engine" light when this happens the spark plug wires are a likely cause.

Also check all hose clamps, vacuum lines, rubber hoses, wire connections, and sensors. Some of the rubber hoses under the intake hose aren't secured very tight. If a hose popped off the engine will do all sorts of wacky things. Same thing with wire connectors. Connections like the TPS sensor, MAF sensor, IAC solenoid and the like are all possible causes. Don't forget to check and re-tighten hose clamps on the intake hose. If even a small leak opened up anywhere in the intake after the MAF sensor you could have problems.

Usually the air filter will catch large quantities of water (Like a car wash, a huge puddle, or a pressure washer) and prevent engine damage. If water got into the intake and got soaked up by the filter it will usually dry off in under a minute or two and be fine. If you want to rule out a soggy filter, take the filter off and drive around the block to see if the problem went away. If water got into the intake after the filter it could hydro-lock the engine. Gasses like oxygen are compressible, liquids like water are not. A cylinder full of water is no different than a cylinder full of concrete to a moving piston. Don't worry. If the engine were hydrolocked it probably wouldn't even turn over, and if it did it almost certainly wouldn't run anymore.

Archived