LegacyGT.com

LGT question (new guy)

well there are no turbo'd leggys this year in the US... if it has a bad engine i wouldnt pasy more than $2000 with a pretty damn good body, make them believe engine swaps are a pain in the ass (which they arent at all) and throw in an EJ257 (STi motor) for a couple grand...

EZ30 is not gonna be as easy, the electronics are a bytch unless you go with an aftermarket ECU. A Phase II EJ25 from the later cars should work without too much trouble and not have the HG issues. though if you rebuild the Phase I EJ25 with the newer gaskets you shouldn't have HG issues either. pretty much any EJ+ Subaru engine will bolt in, but the electronics is what will get you. as far as price, depends on your area, ask around at local salvage yards and you may be surprised.

Also, for Phase I EJ25's you can look in LGT's, Leg Outbacks, or Impreza 2.5RS's

since you have been asking about turbos i doubt you will want to do this but a 95 ej22 is a direct swap with no head aches. you will lose horsepower but the ej22 is a VERY reliable engine.

1000$ for a car in good condition but bad engine is a fair price. 500 - 1000 is better.

the other option is a replacement ej25 DOHC. the problem here is that they have a tendency to blow head gaskets, so the one you buy may not be any better off then the one you have.

as mentioned above, the electronics are very limiting. it may be possible to get something JDM but again you are going to have an electronic problem. the jdm engines do not have the matching emissions stuff you need in the US. so any long block you buy will need ALL of the emissions stuff off your existing block, including but not limited to the intake , the wiring harness, the egr, maf ....

^mostly true with the jdm thing, a popular option is to just swap a usdm intake manifold on there which helps alot with egr and the like, but i chose to just keep it as a straight swap with many emission components missing and i passed better than my old stock motor

Archived