LegacyGT.com

removing painted chrome- grille

bmx045

So I searched and couldn't find a straight answer, I want to paint my grille flat black, but don't want to spray over the chrome because of the adherence issue. What's the best way to remove that factory chrome from the plastic? I would rather not use a sander to the degree of needing bondo afterwards :dm:

I just lightly sanded mine with fine grit, cleaned it, and sprayed it with Krylon made for plastic. It has held up for 2 months. It is really easy to do, so I won't be upset if a re-spray becomes part of the annual spring maintenance. Flat black looks so much better than the chrome.

It will chip/peel off eventually if you dont remove the chrome. The best method i found was to peel it off with a razor knife. Its a pain in the ass. Sanding wont remove the chrome, its too thick and if you sand it hard and long enough it will melt the plastic underneath the chrome plating.

Best compromise would be to spray it with black plastidip in a spray can. It wont peel or chip and is completely reversible if you want to go back to chrome.

• 3 weeks later...
It will chip/peel off eventually if you dont remove the chrome. The best method i found was to peel it off with a razor knife. Its a pain in the ass. Sanding wont remove the chrome, its too thick and if you sand it hard and long enough it will melt the plastic underneath the chrome plating.

This is what I did, but I used a jack knife to start the process. Once you get the chrome off, you start sanding with 100 grit (an electric sander is your friend here) and work up to 600 grit.

Takes time though, but after 4 months my grill does not have a single chip in it.

Archived