LegacyGT.com

ADD TPMS Question?

So yesterday I blew and screwed one of my tires, apparently for driving on it for too long with low air pressure. (too dumb to notice it was low apparently)

So I was wondering, is it possible to add the subaru TPMS to my 2006 Legacy 2.5I?

I did a search for adding it, but all I could really find were people trying to remove or disconnect it.

Any help would be great, as I dont really want to go thru this again.

Thanks guy and gals

So yesterday I blew and screwed

cool story bro.

i'm sure you could add it, but it would probably be a massive undertaking. wiring is not often an easy/safe thing to alter.

i recommend the alternative: quit being a lazy canuckistanian and check your tire pressure regularly.

It was actualy a big hunk of metal in the tire, and I asumme one to many rotations let all the air out and I didnt notice till I got home.

I saw from some other threads, that the TPMS sensor is under the drivers seat. I wonder if the harness is already there for it? My 06 has seemed to be wired for all the other accessories. I might need to check if I can find the wire when I get home. I just wonder what else is required to get it to work.

Thanks for the quick reply though.

And yes, I should quit being lazy, but CANADA ROCKS :p

My thoughts..

I have 2 cars, one with TPMS(mine), one without(wifes). The TPMS has made me lazy, I rarely check my wife's car anymore, to the point where she leaves the pressure gauge out for me to remind me to check them on a periodic basis.

If I were you, I would leave them off, and put a reminder in your phone/Outlook to check them once a week or so.

As a rule I do check my pressure regularly. But in this case, I think it went flat while driving, and to have that little warning light would be a bonus.

That being said, I just heard back from my local subaru dealership, and they are saying that I cannot add the TPMS. However that being said, they also told me I couldnt add my homelink rearview mirror, an aftermarket stereo, or steeringwheel audio controls (Had to buy that stuff from our good friend mr fred beans)

lol RuskiBear I figgured someone would make a joke.

Strizzy123 I actualy was just looking at that when I saw your post.

Has anyone here tried them?

Tire Rack sells a similar system now (as well as the Hella System. For some reason they no longer carry the Orange Electric System), but I'd think those huge valve stem caps would look goofy as hell, assuming that would matter to you.

The aftermarket systems all have the advantage of more detailed information (which tire is low, internal air temperature, etc), and the disadvantage of having to mount a rather large and cumbersome display somewhere in the car..

Smart Tire was one of the pioneer's in retrofit TPMS systems, but they have stopped producing Passenger car systems, though I see no good reason why you couldn't use one of their 'RV' systems on a passenger car..

Schrader (no one knows this name I'm sure) also has a TPMS system out now as well..

For those who want an aftermarket, portable GPS solution, there is this neatly integrated version which combines the Orange Electric TPMS with a 'PolNav' (anyone know anything about their products?) touchscreen GPS to provide a two for one deal. Depending upon the GPS/NAV capability, this could be a nice integration..

Let us know what you decide, and how you like it..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

Archived