LegacyGT.com

Need advice on 96 2.5 lsi overheating

So far it started with a hole in the radiator. As it goes the car was driven until it stopped running. Radiator was replaced along with the water pump and timing belt. Then I was getting bubbles in the overflow canister after driving say 5 miles and the car would over heat again. I replaced the thermostat with OEM from Subaru. Still overheating. After reading posts and trying to get a much info as possible it lead to the head gaskets. I purchased a head gasket kit and had a local mechanic replace. He suggested that while the heads were out to have the heads redone with machining and all new valves and seats. Sure go ahead. Now that I have the car back I took the thermostat out and the car still overheats with bubbles going into the overflow tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You have air bubbles in your system. Subarus have a tendency to obtain air bubbles really easy. You must start the car and open the bleeder screw on the left side of the radiator. Leave the car running with the radiator cap off and slowly add coolant. This takes up to 30 mins. If you can put the front of the car higher than the rear, it just speeds up the process.

You will need to take it somewhere to have this down. They hook up a machine to your car and literally flush out the system. Sometimes you can get a blockage of some sort in the system causing the coolant to not be able to flow and overheat.

I know people have done it them selves but I have always taken it to someone to make sure it is done right and that the whole system is flushed.

if you didn't use subaru head gaskets you may have to do them again.

if you have bubbles in your over flow you probably have bad head gaskets.

there is a chance there is "air" in the cooling system. put the front of the car up hill so the rad cap is the high spot. the higher the better. fill the system with coolant . some folks disconnect the upper radiator hose at the radiator and pour coolant into the block. after you have filled the system leave the rad cap off and start the car and let run until it reaches full operating temp. top off the coolant put on the cap and fill the over flow to the max line.

if you still over heat after this fill method and or have bubbles in the overflow you have bad head gaskets.

use subaru head gaskets only. and you probably didn't need to spend the money on the valves and seats. they do not fail very often.

I have used Felpro gaskets on my white car and 15k later it still runs like a champ, and I beat that car up. Lots of people have trusted the Felpro on their subis and I have yet to hear of one set of failed gaskets.

On what do you base this statement?

O.

several things, first, it took subaru several tries to get the head gasket right the 00 version didn't do it but apparently the 03 - 04 version did. buying an after market head gasket may or may not be actual subaru specs, even if it is made by the same manufacturer.

second there are lots of posts on other fourms where after market gaskets were used and fail almost immediately. in my opinion it is not worth the risk or the savings, if any. you can order subaru gaskets online for 72$ a pair plus shipping. how much are you going to save if you buy from a parts store in town.

ej22s are very forgiving and i don't think it matters, but the ej25 phase 1 engine is picky, use subaru gaskets. so picky in fact that the original gasket the engineers called for was inadequate. what are the chances that an aftermarket gasket is the original design or lesser quality.

if you have used aftermarkets on your phase 1 ej25 with success, more power to you, but i just consider it a risk not worth taking. and if you are sold on them there is nothing i can say to change your mind, but i think the re-failure rate is higher with aftermarkets.

and case in point, the original poster has bubbles in the over flow after replacing the head gaskets. this is not a good sign.

It is definitely a matter of choice. I just dislike general statements without empirical data to back it up.

Because a few have had issues, does not mean it is a done deal for all. Case in point, Cometic makes heads gaskets for most high power subarus. A lot of people who are maxxing out the hp use them. All auto makers, not just Subaru. Fel Pro has been making gaskets before the first Subaru was imported into America. Have some failed yes, but was it the gasket or incorrect installation?

ie Subaru has a very unusual head torque method.

On the flip side you can say that Subaru(or whoever made them for Subaru) gaskets are no good and not to buy them, for there was a whole lot of data that says theirs was no good.

Each of us do what we feel is best. But I, for one do not make generalizations on anything without stats to back it up.

Therefore I do not put negative statements out as a catch all. Whether it be a vendor, a product or a person.

If asked I will you give one my experiences, but I would not tell another to not do so and so, solely on my case alone.

I pray you get my drift.

Nothing personal.

O.

Archived