LegacyGT.com

Linear, Progressive or Both?

jim1969

I don't want much drop. I'd just like to minimize my body roll and not sacrifice ride quality much. This is for a daily driver. Should I go with linear springs like Pinks, progressive like Swifts or Progress, or a mix of progressive fronts and linear rears like IONs?

Thanks

I have solid rear Whiteline adjustable sway bar. 19mm-21mm set to hard setting which would be 21mm. Definately improved turn-in and reduced understeer. I also have PZero Neros. No other suspension changes.

ahhh, well, then I would not really know. I guess it also depends on the spring rates of the sets you are looking at. Depending on a rate, one version may be stiffer than another, the difference between linear and progressive alone can't determine ride quality. I know the Pinks are a modest drop, and the ride quality with the stock dampers is very nice, not too rough, but it does lower the car. I think any aftermarket spring will lower the car. To maintain OEM ride height, you might have to look at coilovers where you can raise up the car, adjust the spring pre-load to where you want it, and then run on the softest dampening to maintain OEM feel....

Anytime you want to eliminate roll with a stiffer spring, you get rid of comfort...finding the balance you want will be the hard part. Maybe find people in your area that have the different set ups you are looking at and ask for a ride along to see how they compare?

the progress are very low .. to low for winter :(

i will problay switch to the spt if they every come out

sways won't fix the porposing that the stock suspension has

stock fronts are progressive, rear are linear

progress fronts are progresive, rears are linear

According to the e-mails I got from Progress and Precision Tuning the progress springs are progresive with a 1.3" drop in the front and 1" in the rear. There were no mention of the rears being linear. Are you sure our fronts are progressive and our rears are linear?

I have the SPT suspension kit on my WRX. The set up comes with linear springs and has little to no drop from the stock set up. Once upon a time I had the opportunity to buy a STi Genome set up which comes with progressive springs. I was unable to purchase the set up at the time and have regretted it since. I love the SPT set up on my car right now, but I can tell you that my set up can get a little choppy on the roads around NY while driving slow. But, the faster you go the better they feel. I've been told that the progressive springs can take the bumps better while you're driving slow. Given the roads around where you live, you may want to consider a progressive spring set.

For example driving across the Tappan Zee Bridge at 50 mph is a very different experience for me than then if I'm driving across at 70 mph. At 50 mph, the car bounces with every single crease and seam in the road...at 70 mph, it's much better, and more fun!

The Tein H-Techs might be worth a look for you. Drop is estimated around 1" on USDM struts, and they are progressive. Check the member classifieds for specs. I've coordinated a group buy on them for $150 per set plus shipping. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11857&page=1&pp=10

Unfortunately, can't give you any "real world" information about these springs on USDM struts because I don't know of anyone who has installed the H-Techs on an LGT yet.

jim1969 - Please note that they are not the "same" set-up. However the choice of configuration would be similar. The spring rates we use are different then those offered by other companies. We also do have a limited lifetime warranty on our springs if they ever "sag" over 7mm (they are replaced). Hoever through the years of use; the most we've ever seen our springs "sag" had been 2mm under extreme usage in 6yrs time (this is the free-length difference).

Archived