LegacyGT.com

Anyone Replace the Harmon Kardon Sub in decklid?

Jaspreet

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/duanenoel/sub5.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/duanenoel/sub3.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/duanenoel/sub2.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/duanenoel/sub1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/duanenoel/sub.jpg

DLS - 0A8 350 watt 8ohm sub

JL - J2360.2 amp

Another question.. Did you stock hk sub in the deck lid have two plugs connecting into the speaker?? I'm just wondering why there are two plus and what are they..

you may want to rewire it with larger gauge of wire directly from the amp to make sure the signal is accurately/effectively delivered to the sub. once i switched from the skinny stock wires to 16gw (rewired from h/k amp to all speakers), it really made some diff (even with the stock spk/sub)!

mark

The stock sub it 6 1/2. But there's a 7 in hole in the deck lid

not sure about new sub, but in my 09', the sub itself is not simply like an unit dropping in the hole. it has a weight (ring?) surrounded as well. meaning that the sub with the plastic basket is placed on the ring(weight?) with 3bolts and the ring is placed on the decklid with 4 bolts. (see pics)

ok, here is measurement:

the sub/basket itself is: 3x bolts, 186mm; diaphram/cutout 152mm

the ring (weight?) is: 4x bolts, 195mm; cutout 154mm

decklid hole/cutout is: 182mm

hope this help

08172010057.thumb.jpg.c0e3d0fd4fb7fd305cc858e45cc940a7.jpg

08242010078.thumb.jpg.73e295760909dd586a9d4694e0f9bd57.jpg

you may want to rewire it with larger gauge of wire directly from the amp to make sure the signal is accurately/effectively delivered to the sub. once i switched from the skinny stock wires to 16gw (rewired from h/k amp to all speakers), it really made some diff (even with the stock spk/sub)!

mark

yeh they are using some skinny wires.. thats just minor change that can always be done after it it doesnt deliver sound accurately..

so under the stock sub i assume it has two set of plugs cause its dual voice coil.. so do you by change know the polarity of all 4 wires? color code..

not sure about new sub, but in my 09', the sub itself is not simply like an unit dropping in the hole. it has a weight (ring?) surrounded as well. meaning that the sub with the plastic basket is placed on the ring(weight?) with 3bolts and the ring is placed on the decklid with 4 bolts. (see pics)

ok, here is measurement:

the sub/basket itself is: 3x bolts, 186mm; diaphram/cutout 152mm

the ring (weight?) is: 4x bolts, 195mm; cutout 154mm

decklid hole/cutout is: 182mm

hope this help

how did you remove the sub? i looked from under neath and theres like some bracket system with four black hex bolts holding it in.. i tried to pop the grill off but no go there..

you have the right steps to remove the sub??

how did you remove the sub? i looked from under neath and theres like some bracket system with four black hex bolts holding it in.. i tried to pop the grill off but no go there..

you have the right steps to remove the sub??

first, pop up the back seat base then remove the side. you'll know what to do coz all bolts are hinded from the seat. first time, i was extremely carefully (chickenly?) to do everything, it took me 30+mins from the seat to the sub, i guess i need 5~10mins for the second time! a little guy from autozone/autoparts, his name is "door panel puller", will give you a great great help!

mark

pm me if you need pics. it's much easier than you think it is!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
for those that replaced the sub and used the stock hk amp...... does it sound better? deeper bass? reviews please. thanks.

mark.... what sub is that? looks sweet. can u give me a review of how yours sounds as well.

Hello? Anyone still home??

Hello? Anyone still home??

mine is earthquake sws8 in 4ohms, pushing it with a five channels amp (50w x4 4ohms , 200 x1 4ohms), also 16gw from amp to all spks. 12gw to sub. (edit: i used same amp, and same wires to test both new and stock sub, no eq, also no LPF for testing purpose.).

speaking of the sub alone, dB is lower but meanwhile sound notes can go deeper now. let me put it this way- stock sub was too booming, which range was 80Hz~140Hz, peak at 120~130Hz and low end dramatically drops from 70+hz. all in all, it's bass was too pronounce and too annoying to my taste.

Now with sws8, all booming is gone, dB seemed (-4dB to -6dB?) lower, but low end comes back to my ears, ooze in a right time and right noise level, not too much but here!

i also use the stock headunit's loudless function to kinda add little bass when volume is low, and reduce bass when turning it up to protect the sub. but guys, i don't mean it's weak. it's just my personalilty that i like to take care my toys! i'm very satisfied with it now.

spec: RMS 150w, peak 300w, xmax 23mm, cutout 8 1/8", tmd 2 1/8", btw, after installed on the rear deck, it's peak range sounded like around mid 50's Hz (so i need to drop at least 8dB at 50Hz on my eq), i guess it's because the horn effect with the rear windsheild?

mark

ps: lol, but i think i 'll buy another open-type sub since someone proved that the deck can fix a approx 5"TMD sub in the stock hole! (yes, sws8 is enclosured-type subwoofer..)

• 2 weeks later...
where is the audio going to your amp for your sub woofer coming from, i have a 2009 with the h/k system i replaced the factory sub with a low watt sub running off the factory amp because i didnt know how to easily get stereo input for a new amplifier for a new sub woofer

The stock amp is only going to put out the the same power as it would to push the stock 6 1/2 8 ohm sub. U can't change anything on the stock amp so putting a 12in sub hooked up to the oem amp with sound nothing more that the stock 6 1/2 sub if it would do anything at all. It would probably over heat the amp

Again, the OEM amplifier in the AUDM Liberty's has an output of around 35w RMS from memory which is more than enough to work an efficient 12" subwoofer. The stereo is badged McIntosh (but is a rebadged clarion unit really) and with 35wRMS it has enough power to make any speaker go loud. It is all about efficient drivers, whether they be mids or subs, being used and installed properly. Sound damping, solid boxes and baffles in the doors etc etc. Yes, there is the chance of overheating, the whole stereo is way too over equalized, but the stereo was being used sensibly and there were no issues at all.

The main problem is the OEM speakers and "Sub" are terrible.

I wouldn't think the USDM Liberty amplifiers would be much different at all.

Archived