LegacyGT.com

Considering new 2011 WRX Limited 5-door

I owned an '09 WRX, and while it was amazing to drive for fun factor, and I loved the look of the hatch, the interior felt very cheaply made. Perhaps they've made improvements for the 2011 year. While it's a great car, and a good value, I just felt more comfortable in the Legacy GT.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In general terms, WRX/Sti owners (newer STi and WRX wide body models included) tend to be associated with the 'street racer' crowd. I don't think this isn't known or new to anyone, but I point it out anyway. It may affect certain conceptions of people that will affect you. Neighbors, business partners, co-workers, etc. Yeah, they are the a-holes for judging, but it's a fact of life. It was also meant to be a kinda lighthearted comment, but there is seriousness behind it too.

I think the "Asian boy racer" stereotype attaches more to the prior generation WRX/STI sedans than it does to the current generation WRX/STI, largely because of the lack of fender flares on the 2008-10 WRX sedan and the lack of availability of the STI in a sedan body style until 2011. The five-door body style's practicality has led to more universal acceptance of the STI as a "mature" automobile, IMO. :) I suspect the 2011+ STI sedans with the big wing will bring some of that stereotype back though.

There is no way in hell I'd get a WRX. If I were going to move out of the OBXT, it would HAVE to be into an STi (if it was another Subaru at all).

The WRX is too much of the same, for me. I'd rather get a stock STi than mod a WRX.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There is no way in hell I'd get a WRX. If I were going to move out of the OBXT, it would HAVE to be into an STi (if it was another Subaru at all).

The WRX is too much of the same, for me. I'd rather get a stock STi than mod a WRX.

but it's so purrrdyyyy....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs784.snc4/66397_668472683465_24400701_37127387_7560681_n.jpg

Make it a sedan, and I agree. I can't stand that egg with wheels design.

No way! The sedan looks awful!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I feel like this design is nearing the end of its design cycle. 1 or 2 model years tops? I feel like they have kept revising it because the critique from the enthusiast fan base has been less than favorable...and so have sales.

I drove one and it was very nice, but I feel that it's a completely different machine from the Legacy. In fact, the average person probably wouldn't even know they were by the same manufacturer. Lastly...and probably mostly...I really lament the fact that Subaru moved away from sashless door glass. I feel that this was the one thing they had that made Subaru quirky, different, and plucky. Let middle America buy Accords and Camrys if they don't like a little wind noise ;) (note: I recognize that if Subaru didn't aim for "middle of the road" by taking away funky details like this, they will never grow as a company...I just hate that they did.)

Not sure why you are so against the wrx BAC5.2. For the price its a very good choice. I've owned several of both myself, hence my confusion. My only beef with the wrx is the 5 speed. Styling is damn near identical now.

I'm picking up my first LGT this weekend, so maybe my opinion will change?

List of previous Subie purchases:

02 WRX Hatch Silver (new)

03 WRX Hatch Blue (new)

03 WRX Hatch Blue (used, modified to Stage II)

06 Legacy SE Lt Blue(new)

07 WRX Hatch Gray (new)

08 Legacy GT Gray (used, current)

As a "fan" of Subies, I find the target market for the WRX/STI completely different than that of the Legacy.

If you want less creature comforts and more go, go with WRX (new, used, modified). If you want a balanced platform with creature comforts and plenty of go and good tuner support go with Legacy.

I agree with other members that there is a "ricer" perception with the WRX platform. This will stay with the product no matter the refinement due to the 1st/2nd gen WRX IMHO.

They are both proven platforms that offer good value. With my history with the older WRXs/Legacy SE; the Legacy GT is a perfect daily driver for me. If I wanted a track/strip car I would go back to the 07 WRX platform and mod up.

It is all a matter of what you want. Both great options....to me it is like arguing over what kind of sprinkles everyone wants on their ice cream.

Just my .02, shrug.

8^)

today I leased a 2010 WRX sedan base. Because it was a leftover '10 I literally got it for cost and at .5% 24 month, which is fantastic.

I kind of prefer the stealthier '10 look to the flared '11 but the new 2011 wheels and exhaust are fantastic. In my car the 2010 at least with the look of the cloth seats, the stitching and included heating, it doesnt seem to be worth the extra for the ltd, altho I do miss the sunroof...

In any case, I can vouch that the WRX looks better in person than in pics. And it is better in every way by far (except maybe some interior bits, and some styling) from the 05 LGT MT Ltd I had. I honestly didnt think it would be so smooth and pleasant, not rough in any way. Actually very similar to my old legacy in feel. I never test drove first so its all surprises over here!

In short, the new WRX's (post '08) at least are great if you can swallow the styling and you might get a killer deal on a '10 if you don't need want the '11 changes.

Going to look at it again tomorrow. We have Subaru VIP, but the dealer I'm going to is actually pricing their cars below the 2% under invoice, so that works too I guess.

Thinking 36 mos. at 1.9% is pretty attractive.

Going to look at it again tomorrow. We have Subaru VIP, but the dealer I'm going to is actually pricing their cars below the 2% under invoice, so that works too I guess.

Thinking 36 mos. at 1.9% is pretty attractive.

Its a pretty good deal for a newly arrived vehicle, the only way you get much less is waiting some months or maybe a demo

List of previous Subie purchases:

02 WRX Hatch Silver (new)

03 WRX Hatch Blue (new)

03 WRX Hatch Blue (used, modified to Stage II)

06 Legacy SE Lt Blue(new)

07 WRX Hatch Gray (new)

08 Legacy GT Gray (used, current)

As a "fan" of Subies, I find the target market for the WRX/STI completely different than that of the Legacy.

If you want less creature comforts and more go, go with WRX (new, used, modified). If you want a balanced platform with creature comforts and plenty of go and good tuner support go with Legacy.

I agree with other members that there is a "ricer" perception with the WRX platform. This will stay with the product no matter the refinement due to the 1st/2nd gen WRX IMHO.

They are both proven platforms that offer good value. With my history with the older WRXs/Legacy SE; the Legacy GT is a perfect daily driver for me. If I wanted a track/strip car I would go back to the 07 WRX platform and mod up.

It is all a matter of what you want. Both great options....to me it is like arguing over what kind of sprinkles everyone wants on their ice cream.

Just my .02, shrug.

8^)

Yay, someone who has owned more then me! Makes me feel better! At least with Subaru's anyway! Heres my list of the past 3 or 4 years in order...

05 Obsidian Black Pearl STi

04 World Rally Blue STi

96 Nissan Sentra

93 Toyota Supra N/A

06 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX

09 Ford Fusion

05 Corvette C6

96 Isuzu Rodeo

98 Acura Integra

08 World Rally Blue STI (strongly regret selling this one...)

97 Toyota Supra Turbo

10 Toyota Rav4 (current)

07 BMW 335i

06 Atlantic Blue Legacy GT LTD(current)

Whats really sad is I think I'm forgetting some... I've owned 3 bikes too.

Obviously I'm a Subaru fan also! I haven't owned my Legacy for long, but it just seems like the cops ignore me now. I used to get cops doing the "no no" sign with their finger at traffic lights (yes, happened on more than one occasion when I was just cruising around in the middle of the day!). Since now I needed a good car to keep since I have 2 kids and another on the way, I chose the Leggy. I'm happy with it too. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

What a great list.......I hate you because you owned a Supra, and a C6 for that matter. I have to ask....what was up with the 96 Sentra in mix, it seems out of place?

The LGT is a great platform. It has been my favorite subie so far......my list was missing the 03 Audi A4 and the 03 VW GTI that I tried out before vowing never to own a German car ever again. The car before the LGT was the A4 and I REALLY loved the styling of the car but found the LGT to be a good blend of Subie reliability (something the A4 lacked) and upgraded creature comforts that my wife loves...(heated seats, sunroof, etc.) and the styling aint so bad either. I am getting me some eibachs to address my biggest issue with the vehicle, the wheel well stance....it looks awful.

And cops to indeed ignore the LGT here as well, when I was in my blue 03 stage II wagon I got the finger wag too....lol....but then again I did get a ticket for doing 117mph in a 55mph in that car......8^) (It was on the highway......late at night, with shit for cars around.....before all the flaming trolls that are concerned with public safety on the internet and cut off people with walkers in real life collectively flame me......)

....but then again I did get a ticket for doing 117mph in a 55mph in that car......8^

No flame....just if you do it here in MD (resident or not), you most likely are going to sit in jail the rest of the night. You'll also have five tickets....not one. Just a heads up for those locally.

I'm looking real hard at this transaction, and my car's only an 09. I'm trying to guesstimate what i could get for it, and decide if it's worth the money (to me) to get the new WRX. I've only got a 2.5, no GT. I'm pretty unhappy about the power.

It doesn't help that everyone wants me to do it except my significant other.

Archived