LegacyGT.com

questions about the spec b

Hey guys is the spec b tranny and diff the same as the 05-07 sti? the reason i ask is because i found totaled spec b and a sti with no drive-train but the motor is there. wanted to make one car out of two. please help?

The rear diff in the SpecB and STI are both a Torsen R180. You can use the same transmission components as long as they are paired correctly. The flywheel is larger and heavier in the SpecB, therefore it won't work when paired with a smaller STI clutch and pressure plate. You can, however, use STI/SpecB components in the same housing when paired correctly. I run an STI clutch, pressure plate and flywheel in my SpecB. For your application you'd probably prefer the STI components. The STI flywheel is lighter and smaller.

If this will be a daily driver with maybe the occasional AutoX or RallyX, Subaru Extra-S is probably the best for you. If you plan to make this a dedicated track car or competitive AutoX/RallyX car, you'll want something that can hold up to the heat better. In that case, I'd recommend Motul or Amsoil.

Archived