LegacyGT.com

Most reliable, cheapest, and newest car that you can think of for under $3k

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, I saw a 77 280Z on sale not long ago for $1500. Completely not what I was looking for, but oh so tempting :)

I'm seeing a lot of early 90's Miatas with ~110k miles popping up.

I have a feeling it'll be between a 5spd ~91ish Miata or a 5 spd ~99ish Saturn SC2

Hondas from those years isnt as reliable as everyone thinks engines hold together well if maintained, but there transmissions are held together by the hair of discarded Japanese children.

3rd gear is actually made out of discarded food boxes.

The distributor is also clevely designed to grenade at 100k and all replacements come with a garuntee to fry every 9k.

Heh, I saw a 77 280Z on sale not long ago for $1500. Completely not what I was looking for, but oh so tempting :)

I'm seeing a lot of early 90's Miatas with ~110k miles popping up.

I have a feeling it'll be between a 5spd ~91ish Miata or a 5 spd ~99ish Saturn SC2

No contest. Japanese RWD vs. American FWD? Miata all the way. :lol:

As far as a Z-car is concerned, save your money. A 77 280Z would still need to be smogged in CA and has the ugly 5 mph bumpers. You're much better off getting a 70-73 240Z, but you'll pay more for having the pretty bumpers. In classic car vernacular, the 260Z and 280Z would be considered "fat chicks," i.e., the less desirable post-1973 bumper standard, smog control choked versions of the classic 240Z.

Hahaha, yeah, I know, but I liked the 280s for some reason, maybe it's the slightly bigger size. I'm not a large person at all (5'9) and when I was test driving 240Zs (10 years ago), the side of the car kept cutting into my shoulder.

I mentioned the 280Z simply because it could have been fun, but doesn't meet what I need right now.

I'm leaning more towards the Miata, but it'll come down to whichever I find at a great price. At this point it needs to be reliable and moderately fun. It won't be seeing a track anytime soon (if I get a Miata)

Hondas from those years isnt as reliable as everyone thinks engines hold together well if maintained, but there transmissions are held together by the hair of discarded Japanese children.
but you can get used transmissions for 100 bucks, all day long.

The distributor is also clevely designed to grenade at 100k and all replacements come with a garuntee to fry every 9k.

thats why you get OEM dizzys from the parts yard for 25 each. its either gonna be the ignitor or the coil thats bad. when ya buy a used unit, you will have a spare whatever else didnt fry.

Wouldn't there be any Subarus that fit the bill?

the OP said "reliable"...

Hahaha, yeah, I know, but I liked the 280s for some reason, maybe it's the slightly bigger size. I'm not a large person at all (5'9) and when I was test driving 240Zs (10 years ago), the side of the car kept cutting into my shoulder.

I mentioned the 280Z simply because it could have been fun, but doesn't meet what I need right now.

I'm leaning more towards the Miata, but it'll come down to whichever I find at a great price. At this point it needs to be reliable and moderately fun. It won't be seeing a track anytime soon (if I get a Miata)

There's no interior size difference between the 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z, only weight, displacement, and bumpers. The 280ZX was definitely larger and way uglier than the 240Z though. :lol:

but you can get used transmissions for 100 bucks, all day long.

thats why you get OEM dizzys from the parts yard for 25 each. its either gonna be the ignitor or the coil thats bad. when ya buy a used unit, you will have a spare whatever else didnt fry.

the OP said "reliable"...

Yes he did say reliable. reliable means parts not breaking and you just agreeed that the hondas do fall aprat and break. Doesnt matter if the tranmission is 100 bucks, cause that one will grenede aswell. A tranmission blowing or ignition system problems= not reliable honda fan boi no matter how cheap they are to replace.

And why is everyone talking about 70s nissans. A car from the 70s is 30 years old, some shit is bound to need replacing.

Yes he did say reliable. reliable means parts not breaking and you just agreeed that the hondas do fall aprat and break. Doesnt matter if the tranmission is 100 bucks, cause that one will grenede aswell. A tranmission blowing or ignition system problems= not reliable honda fan boi no matter how cheap they are to replace.

You called an old man a fan boi, cool! Things happen to old beaters. If its a cheap R&R, I don't have a problem with it. Its not like they are difficult to work on. To each his own.

The Miata is a truly fantastic car, and would be ideal for you to learn to drive a MT. However, IMHO, the Miata is a terrible 'highway' car. That would be especially true for long desert highways, I think.

I bought a 2002 Miata new and drove it for 5 years and it always put a smile on my face, except on the freeway. The gearing is too short to be a great freeway cruiser, road noise is bad both with the top up and down, you'll get baked in the sun with the top down, and with the top up the interior feels a bit claustrophobic and has poor visibility. I was always surprised with the top-down road noise, given the fact that it's a purpose-built convertible: at freeway speed you aren't going to be able to really hear the radio, which can make for a long, dull drive. The Miata is simply built for the twisties, not the highway.

Still, I say go for it! Just want you to make an informed decision. At your price point, you can afford to buy one, drive it for 6 months, see how you like it, and buy something else if not satisfied: you won't lose too much in tax and licensing (and virtually nothing in depreciation.) It's the perfect car to learn MT on with it's light weight and modest power: you will learn to be in the right gear at all times, lest you lose momentum. Frankly I think everybody shown own and drive a Miata at some point in their lives: it's an absolute hoot. :wub: I had to give mine up 3 years ago to facilitate a relocation, and I still really miss that car. I will have another someday. Or a Boxster. Someday soon.

Just my $.02

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

You called an old man a fan boi, cool! Things happen to old beaters. If its a cheap R&R, I don't have a problem with it. Its not like they are difficult to work on. To each his own.

Yep and thats the issue, too each his own. You are willing to work on a old 80s car to keep it going some people arent or dotn have the time. Too many projects, hobbies whatever. Some people thinks its a waste of time and money to replace major parts on a 20-25 year old car. So it really does depend on what the OP is willing to do. I think he wants a car for under 3k that he can drive until the wheels fall off and not have much as far as repairs go.

The other thing with the Miata is that your commute time to OC is going to triple. Not because the Miata is slow, but rather just because you are going to want to go up over Big Bear, Idyllwild, and then hit Ortega Canyon into the OC:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2j0hvgw.jpg

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Yep and thats the issue, too each his own. You are willing to work on a old 80s car to keep it going some people arent or dotn have the time. Too many projects, hobbies whatever. Some people thinks its a waste of time and money to replace major parts on a 20-25 year old car. So it really does depend on what the OP is willing to do. I think he wants a car for under 3k that he can drive until the wheels fall off and not have much as far as repairs go.

but to be honest, I've only replaced a handful of dizzys and/or transmissions for other folks. I've had 23 hondas, of various ages and mileages, and have killed 0 dizzys and 0 transmissions myself. maybe your honda luck is like my subaru luck, or you are only seeing folks who abuse the crap outta their hondas.

If only the original poster were here :)

I honestly love the idea of having a car to work on and in the future I'll have one, but right now I'm not looking for that car. I'm looking for something that will run and run and run with standard maintenance (or even abuse).

Scooter, thanks for the input :)

Ah Ortega Canyon is fun

I like the idea of the Subaru (and I see numerous SVXs in that range that look fun), but I don't need AWD for the drive and unfortunately for the Subarus that do fall into my price range (with the exception of the SVX) I would rather have the Saturn.

Though if I were to find a '99/00 Impreza coupe in that price range I'd probably snatch it up

The most reliable car I ever owned was my 95 Sentra, which I got rid of just this past summer. It's been passed through everyone in our family, pretty much, only thing we put in it was gas. There is nothing particularly special about Hondas, as far as I am concerned they have an aura around them that make it seem like their owners walk on water. To every story about an invincible Civic there's five more about domestics that fared just as good. It's all anecdotal.

but to be honest, I've only replaced a handful of dizzys and/or transmissions for other folks. I've had 23 hondas, of various ages and mileages, and have killed 0 dizzys and 0 transmissions myself. maybe your honda luck is like my subaru luck, or you are only seeing folks who abuse the crap outta their hondas.

Probably true, me and alot of my friends had hondas when we were younger. Beat on them alot and they broke. Then we got older got more money and got into cars we can beat on every summer and not have them break.

Archived