LegacyGT.com

Where can i get hardened/OEM wheel lugs?

peteyjr

I was rotating the tires yesterday when i had quite a bit of trouble taking off two of the rear lug nuts. One came out okay when i muscled it but the thread was obviously not right . The other was completely stuck and sheared off in the process of removal. Now these are not stock lugs to begin with. All five were replaced when i had an issue after an autocross earlier this year. I doubt they are as good as the stock variety and even look different. I always torque them properly when i remove the wheels and put them back on. Maybe the greasemonkeys that put on my new tires recently over torqued them. Anyhows I have to replace them again and want to get the best proper lugs.

You let someone else put the lug nut's on your car. Sorry to hear that.

I use anti-sieze compound and torque all the lugs to 80ftlbs. Been doing that for decades.

Now I have removed lugs from used cars I have bought... I have the proped size die to clean the threads up.

OEM should be fine unless your making tons of HP and running slicks. Get them from Fredbeans.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

WEll I do 70 ft lbs , and always tell anyone that touches my ride to do the same. I read the other thread and its unrelated . My current lugs are silver (no they can't be Aluminum) but are def softer than the stock lugs. I'm calling P & L motorsports , they apparently have the goods.

Just shoot FBP a PM. They dont list all the OEM parts on their site. It will be cheaper and all you need. I have LOTS of not pretty, but good shape used lug nuts. I have had 3 LGT's, lol. The lug nuts tend to pile up. I pull them when they get tarnished. I dont own a wrist rocket to use them as ammo for.

Thanks Spankles. Incident at the autocross was my fault. At the end of my runs a big rainstorm came to town. I rushed the switch from my track wheel back to my street wheels and didn't torque them down properly . Wheel became loose the next day and damaged all the threads. Ended replacing all of them at a local Firestone.

Hey bro,

That's really weird - I don't race, but I do change my tire/wheel combo rather frequently, given rotations and/or the winter/summer change-over here in NE-Ohio.

Of the three Subarus we've had so far - my '05 LGT (since '05), Sara's '05 WRX (May '05 through March '09), and her current '09 FXT, I've never seen this problem, with either the OEM lug nuts or with either the "chrome" finished conical seat lugs that I've gotten as freebies from TireRack - or with my McGards (since '06), for that matter.

I haven't used anti-seize on the stud threads, but I usually clean them out with a rag - the only place where I put anti-seize is on the mating surface of the hub/wheel. I torque to 80 ft. lbs, manually, with a good torque wrench.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived