LegacyGT.com

Transmission 91 Legacy Wagon, 5mt 4WD

My clutch went out on the way home a few weeks ago. I just finished the replacement, new P.P., Disc, Idler and Throwout and resurfaced flywheel. I might have been a bit hard on the trans. getting it home with no clutch. I was only a block from home when it went. I do admit to grinding it a few times on the way.

So...now I cannot get it into 1st at all and it pops out of 2nd as soon as I release the clutch. All other gears work as far as I can tell. Wont even go into 1st when "NOT Running"!

The trans-axle is not yet "Full" of gear oil I did get enough to bring up past Min.. On my way to get more now. Am I wasting time and money? Did I ruin my syncro's or gears? I am tempted to pull apart the trans. tomorrow and take a peek. It's not just locked out due to the low oil level is it?

I am very capable of replacing some gears if need be, although I have not done it before. First time for everything, Right???

Check the shift linkage.

Make sure to fill it with gear oil also.

Unless you worked that transmission excruciatingly hard I'd say its fine. It takes a lot to fudge up a stick shift. I've had a Getrag 5 speed with a bad synchro that I could still manage to get into gear, and that same transmission would pop out of second all the time. My solutions were to bounce the shifter off another synchro until the gears were spooled up enough for shifting, and holding the shifter in place to keep it in gear.

I don't think the transmission would be messed up from a couple miles of grinding gears and working over the synchros. Unless the transmission had weak gears and synchros before you started it should be totally fine. Hell I had a Ford 4 speed that I would shift without the clutch for fun... :lol: Just rev-match like big rig and you don't need the clutch or synchros.

Archived