LegacyGT.com

TPMS ? Hopefully for the last time

markyh

Okay, after searching several different boards and googling and reading for hours on this... I need to know once and for all. Can I just cut a wire for the stupid tpms light and not hurt anything else or cause other lights to come on?

Like many others, I have purchased another set of wheels and I didn't spend $30k for stupid government to tell me when my tires are low or flat. I'm not the type of person to have junky cars with crappy tires and not take care of things. I maintain my vehicles and they are just as nice or actually nicer when I get rid of them.

So far I've read that people are doing:

1. Putting black electrical tape over the flashing light. No, I didn't buy a nice $30K 3.6R Limited to put pieces of tape on the instrument panel.

2. Ignore it. No, I can't stand little things flashing like that.

3. Pipe bomb contraption. I don't think that would even work since the sensors seem to have to be rolling to activate.

4. Buy a second TPMS computer. No, the guy that did that and posted here spent about $400 doing that and that seems like an extreme.

5. Buy that ATEQ TPMS Quicket Device | Revolution Supply Co. This seems like it may work but I'm totally skeptical. Has anyone here ever used this?

6. Buy a second set of TPMS sensors and have the dealer reset the computer. No, that's anywhere from $50 to $110 depending on the dealer and to do that twice a year seems like a waste. I don't even know if they'd fit in the new wheels since I've read some wheels aren't TPMS friendly.

So, I've done a lot of research and after 3 years now still nobody seems to have an easy answer to this. Why not, or what did I miss?

I got another set of 08 spec.B wheels when I wanted them for my snow tires. Already had sensors in them so all it took was a $90 TPMS computer and a $50 charge to set the new computer to the new rims. Now no light on and if I ever do get a slow leak it will let me know before I end up driving on it. I would hate to get a flat, ruin the tire and have to replace all 4 when you are 1/2 way through a full set.

I have the ATEQ Tool to use this week. Bought another set of 4 sensors. I plugged the tool in, and pulled the id codes for the 4 sensors on my car now. I followed the step by step instructions on my computer, and converted the decimal sensor codes for the new sensors over to hexidecimal using any internet conversion chart. Plugged the new numbers in manually and bam, good to go. All I need is the tire place to activate the new sensors and I'll flash with the ATEQ.

If you google it, a bunch of STi guys are using it and works perfect. For me doing it proper and correct way, 300 bucks total was worth it.

I feel like there HAS to be a way to fool the sensors into always being on and just throw them in the spare. Has to be. It's a computer. It can be reprogrammed.

I also remember a post by someone on here who commuted everyday like 40 miles/day somewhere in California and just threw his sensors in the spare and never got a light.

I have the ATEQ Tool to use this week. Bought another set of 4 sensors. I plugged the tool in, and pulled the id codes for the 4 sensors on my car now. I followed the step by step instructions on my computer, and converted the decimal sensor codes for the new sensors over to hexidecimal using any internet conversion chart. Plugged the new numbers in manually and bam, good to go. All I need is the tire place to activate the new sensors and I'll flash with the ATEQ.

If you google it, a bunch of STi guys are using it and works perfect. For me doing it proper and correct way, 300 bucks total was worth it.

Yeah, I just read more on that thing and from what other people said it's totally complicated. I'll look for which wire to cut or pull the whole instrument panel out. I have 2 cars I have to do this for.:mad:

Yeah, I just read more on that thing and from what other people said it's totally complicated. I'll look for which wire to cut or pull the whole instrument panel out. I have 2 cars I have to do this for.:mad:

Complicated? More like the program could br used by a 5 year old. No harder than using the Cobb Accessport.

Archived