LegacyGT.com

Undercoating

The cans of aftermarket undercoating are good enough for replacement use, and they are rather inexpensive. I'd go that route as opposed to getting the stealership to spray some on. Chances are they'd probably just wind up using something similar anyway.

As far as needing it, you don't really. It does help prevent rust, so if you live in the rust-belt states is a good idea to consider some form of rust-prevention as routine auto maintenance. I'd go ahead and get the spray and redo the wheel wells. Its cheaper and easier than cutting, grinding, bending, and welding replacement sheet metal later if you start to get rust holes.

There are all kinds of solutions. Be sure to read up on other paints. I prefer to use paints that seal well rather than a "coating". Less weight, less chance for hidden rust, and doesn't come off with a high pressure was (which I often have to do after covering major weather events, especially hurricanes because of the salt water).

I also recommend checking on the application process. I've actually rolled (vs. sprayed) many surfaces for more efficient coverage and adhesion, but you have to do the research, not always the same for all paints and coatings.

This would also be a good time to check out the Subaru Outback forums as they have a bit of info on this too.

• 1 year later...

Archived