LegacyGT.com

New here, and bought a CHEAP 97 2.5GT

Hey guys, this is my first Legacy, but not my first Suby, I had an 05 STI for 2 years as well, but opted to get a Civic for better mileage....NOOOWWW I am kicking myself, but that's another story.

Anyway, here she is, 1997, 200,000 miles, 2.5 that runs without hesitations, hiccups, or knocks, or ticks, all for the low price of $500.

It runs well, needs struts badly, could prob use timing/water pump, and a rear end / oil pan reseal. All of the work is my own, so should be pretty cheap.

Question is, should I find some 02-04 WRX springs/struts used to throw on it? I hear they fit and give it a little bit lower of a stance.

Also, any input on where to replace the front bumper, as well as stock interior pieces, console is missing the latch, and the seat is not torn, but it is saggy.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs662.snc4/60204_1619403086392_1275865128_1688340_2913086_n.jpg

WELL..I also work at a dealership...and that was what they traded it in for...so hope that makes you feel better...

any ideas what year bumpers/grills fit what? I want to get replacements but don't know who's fits

WELL..I also work at a dealership...and that was what they traded it in for...so hope that makes you feel better...

any ideas what year bumpers/grills fit what? I want to get replacements but don't know who's fits

95 - 99 model years will all bolt on. the GT bumper has a different profile, it hangs down a little lower, from the legacy bumper but it will interchange with you grille. the outback bumper and grille will bolt on but they are a match set, the grille is larger and the bumper matches that size increase. if you use the outback bumper with your existing grille you will have a gap.

as far as the rest of the car...

any seat from 90 - 04 legacy, maybe beyond, will bolt right in. but lego Ls do not have the height adjustment. stick with the GT, LSi or outback.

the oil leaking from the rear of the engine is probably not from the rear main seal unless some one has already replaced it, badly. it is coming from the "oil separator plate / cover". it's plastic and they crack and leak. you still have to pull the engine to replace it and you will need the new screws to go with the new metal plate.

the rear main seals usually do not leak, EVER, unless they have been replaced. they are a little tricky. there are lots of stories about them leaking AFTER they were replaced when not leaking before.

oli pans very rarely leak.

oil pumps on the other hand are known to leak from the o-ring behind the pump. when you have it out check the screws on the back side, they loosen too.

the timing belt is due, and a failure will bend valves, $$$. replace all of the timing components, belt, idlers, tensioner, and water pump. (there is no chance that these items will go 300k and very little chance they will go 200k, so replace them.) as well as crank and cam seals. you'll be good for 100k.

Thanks for the info, I plan on definitely doing the timing setup, but I apologize, it wasn't leaking from the rear of the engine, was leaking on the rear diff, I still refer to them as "rear end" from my v8 rwd raised childhood.

A friend of mine who had one of these checked and valvecovers have a slight leak.

Carfax says rearmain was done at 80k, and looks dry under engine/trans, aside from what looks like bad gasket on the pan...but who knows...If it blows up after 3 months, I can get 300 scrap money for it, and have lost 200....sooo still worth it!

A friend of mine who had one of these checked and valvecovers have a slight leak.

Carfax says rearmain was done at 80k, and looks dry under engine/trans, aside from what looks like bad gasket on the pan...but who knows...If it blows up after 3 months, I can get 300 scrap money for it, and have lost 200....sooo still worth it!

yes, i forgot about the valve covers, they do leak. don't forget the "groments" / gaskets for the spark plug holes.

if the rear main was replaced 120k miles ago, there is a chance that it's leaking. but you won't know until you look at it.

but the oil sep plates will and do leak at the rear of the engine and make it look like the oil pan is leaking. to repeat myself. the oil pan gaskets don't often leak. obviously they can, but more often than not when it looks like the pan gasket it is really the oil pump in the front or the oil sep plate in the rear, depending where the oil is.

and you have to lift the engine to get the oil pan off so you may as well pull it and do everything.

Archived