LegacyGT.com

Tire question.

B4_Maniac

The stock tires on the GT are 215/45/17... I wanted to get a taller and wider and taller tire. But, I took it to firestone just to get a quote and they advised me that if I put a wider taller tire on the legacy that the suspension settings and the AWD woudl not like that. I woul dhave to get the same size tire. Is that true??

I don't see why you couldn't run 225/45/ 17s on the stock rims. Slightly wider, slightly taller. Are you looking for a more drastic upgrade than that? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the AWD should be okay with a bigger tire as long as all four are identical. Also, I don't see why the suspection settings would be effected other than the fact that bigger tires could possibly rub on portions of your suspension.

This could present problems if you have a flat and your new tires do not have the same rolling radius as the spare, especially on the rear axle. Since the GT has a viscous LSD in the rear, it could overheat if the axle does not have tires with identical rolling radii.

[url]http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html[/url] Try using this to choose/check your new tires. This is my first post, I don't know if it has been suggested before - I searched the forums but couldn't find it. Tom

You don't want to go more than about 3% taller. Doing so is a bad idea for a number of reasons. It is like putting taller gears in the car (worse acceleration *boo*, the speedo/odo won't be very accurate, the tires would potentially hit up into the wheelwell on bumps, etc. The suspension comments was correct. The OBs have taller/wider tires but have a completely different suspension to work with. Maybe you want an OB 2.5XT instead? :?: If you want to go wider (and a hair taller) you can certainly do 225/45/17, as was mentioned. After 225 (235+) you may run into a number of issues, primarily rubbing, but also that you will need new 8" wide (optimally, but 7.5" accept them) wheels to accomodate tires at that width. Even 225s work better with 7.5" wide wheels (though you can certainly spoon them onto 7s fine). Good luck. EDIT: <<This could present problems if you have a flat and your new tires do not have the same rolling radius as the spare, especially on the rear axle. Since the GT has a viscous LSD in the rear, it could overheat if the axle does not have tires with identical rolling radii.>> The OE tires are not the same diameter as the spares in Subarus, which come with a 'donut' spare (at least all of the ones I've ever owned). So, the larger tires may exacerbate the problem; but it is an issue even with OE-sized wheels/tires. As nice as the AWD and LSD are there are certainly downsides, like needing a flatbed tow truck when your car breaks down.

Is there a limit that we can post which will say you can get tires of this dimension and size, but go beyond this and it will require additional modifications. i.e. 235+ and you need 8" wide. greater than 45 and you need 18" rims? Just want to keep it simple for a non-mod kinda guy. Reminder, this stuff is new territory for me. J.R.

[quote name='Jason L'] The OE tires are not the same diameter as the spares in Subarus, which come with a 'donut' spare (at least all of the ones I've ever owned). So, the larger tires may exacerbate the problem; but it is an issue even with OE-sized wheels/tires. As nice as the AWD and LSD are there are certainly downsides, like needing a flatbed tow truck when your car breaks down.[/quote] Surprised to hear this. I would have assumed that Subaru would put a spare in the Legacy GT that matches the diameter of the OE tires. So if you get a flat on the rear, you have to pull a tire from the front, put it on the rear, and then put the spare on the front. Twice the work. Or risk burning up the rear LSD. Subaru, what were you thinking? :roll: :evil:

I would imagine the donut would be of sufficient size (at proper inflation) otherwise they didn't need to include it. B4 maniac, go check your spare diameter. In any case, your speedo, tach and mileage readings will be off and you'll have a better chance of getting picked up by johnny law. BTW, welcome back Jason!

You're only supposed to go 50 miles at 55mph on the donuts. They're not made to be a permanent replacement. Hopefully if you get a flat you'll be smart enough not to drive too wild on your own home or to the tire store.

[quote name='CPTChaplin']Is there a limit that we can post which will say you can get tires of this dimension and size, but go beyond this and it will require additional modifications. i.e. 235+ and you need 8" wide. greater than 45 and you need 18" rims? Just want to keep it simple for a non-mod kinda guy. Reminder, this stuff is new territory for me. J.R.[/quote] Here's a bunch of info for people: [url]http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.html[/url] Generic, yes, but pretty thorough and informative.

[quote name='SUBE555']I would imagine the donut would be of sufficient size (at proper inflation) otherwise they didn't need to include it. B4 maniac, go check your spare diameter. In any case, your speedo, tach and mileage readings will be off and you'll have a better chance of getting picked up by johnny law. BTW, welcome back Jason![/quote] Thanks for the feedback guys. I was talking to the regional parts rep from SOA yesterday at my car meet, and we both thought the car could take 225/45/17 there is lots of clearence on the rim. But, I don't want my speedo or odo to be off. But, I would like a wider tire but, I guys I will stick with the same demensions. The parts rep and I are in argee ment that the cars engine is too strong for the stock tires and suspension. I was on a highway off ramp yesterday wich I usualy carve up in my 8..but this time I was scared of over powering the suspension and the grip of the tires in the turn so I backed off. We were wondering if the STI coil overs he had would fit..but we were not sure. But he said he will definatly make it a point with SOA to get some stiffer springs for the LEG.

I'm sure aftermarket suspension components will be available shortly. Also, you'd be surprised at how much better the handling will be with different tires. Scrap the RE92s ASAP. Oh, and forget the STi coilover idea. There was some interchangability with the older Imprezas and Legacies, but that is no longer the case.

[quote name='Jason L']I'm sure aftermarket suspension components will be available shortly. Also, you'd be surprised at how much better the handling will be with different tires. Scrap the RE92s ASAP. Oh, and forget the STi coilover idea. There was some interchangability with the older Imprezas and Legacies, but that is no longer the case.[/quote] Yup, will do. I may have to wait till the end of the month..or next month..the LEG is already putting a hurt'n on the ol checking account.. :oops: STI short shifter going in on Monday... :D

I agree with Jason, replace those RE92's ASAP, it's been their crutch holding them back for the longest time and as the cars keep getting better and better, it will show how big of a weak point it is all the more. Tires, then go from there. That's what I'm doing.

[quote name='SUBE555']I agree with Jason, replace those RE92's ASAP, it's been their crutch holding them back for the longest time and as the cars keep getting better and better, it will show how big of a weak point it is all the more. Tires, then go from there. That's what I'm doing.[/quote] Yeah, I agree too. I planned to do it all at one time. But, my order of events and allocation of funds got mis-alighned when I decided to put 4k down on the ride instead of 3. Plus, my SS was paid for on the day of delivery so thats another 4hun..(SS plus installation). So, I plan on eating and paying the rent for the rest of the month so I will hold off on the tires intill July it looks like. I won't be pushing her hard on corners till then anyway. Maniac

Archived