LegacyGT.com

about to buy my 1st SUBIE!!!!! but . . .

gnod85

found a good deal ( i think) for a '07 base model i think with 33K miles for around $11K...

but.. i had a question about warranties.

the guy told me he had a warranty on it for 4 years, or 36K miles.. whichever comes first. if i want to extend it, which i want to... can i do it after i purchase the car, and transfer the existing warranty to extend it?

any additional tips and advices when i go to see the car would very much be appreciated. like common issues that's easy to miss... or transmission issues, turbo issues... ?

• 2 weeks later...

I would wait you have a long time to buy one and you may even be able to get it with your car insurance. It is cheaper that getting it through the dealer, and if you are a good saver it may be compeletely unnecesary as you could just put that money you would have paid for the warranty into a savings account and then draw on it if and when it is necesary. But with a base model the odds are pretty good you won't need it anytime soon. I have a legacy 2.5i SE 2007 and a Forester x 2003, with 50k miles and almost 100k miles respectiverly and no issues to speak of.

Edit: I have replaced both batteries, warranty wouldn't have helped in either case.

What ever you do, buy the warranty thru Subaru. Aftermarket warranties are, well, effing useless. They will do every trick in the book not to cover something. I deal with them here all the time. One company just burned a guy on his engine because he was missing two oil change reciepts over 65,000 miles.

When I extended my warrant (I have the Subaru Gold Plus - Zero deductible 6yr/100k miles) it cost $795, but I have seen them go for anywhere from that price up to ~$1,300.

I think it depends on the model of your car. Turbo models and 3.0R models cost more than the 2.5i models. I paid around $1,100 for my extended warranty. :mad:

Archived