LegacyGT.com

Get a pro tune, stick with OTS Cobb or go back to stock?

As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. I've been off the board for a while and was happy with my stage2 wagon with OTS Cobb map. I've done some logging and while things seem to be fine I'm a bit nervous after seeing the number of stage2 cars exploding. As my fellow 5MT wagon owners know, there aren't many viable alternatives in the market so I want to keep driving this thing for 3 or 4 years and as such don't want my motor to explode.

Here's what I'm thinking - opinions welcome.

1) Get a pro tune (GST in Hayward). Assumption here is they will tweak the tune to err on the side of safety and I end up with a happy motor and stay stage 2 through eternity. That said there are plenty of pro tuned motors blowing up.

2) Stick with the Cobb map and cross my fingers. I'm vigilant about oil changes and oil levels and I don't beat on the car. That said it makes me a little nervous.

3) Go back to stock. Very few bone stock motors seem to be exploding but damn I don't want to go back to stock power.

What to do?

Btw - I didn't put this in the Tuning section because I'm hoping for an objective response.

Do some datalogging on the Cobb map. If your engine is happy then no need to switch.

+1

The other option for you, obviously, is an Infamous1 tune: either an e-tune or just drive down here to LA for a road tune.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

uhm thursday mountain view krispy kreme.. that ones been really small i may be there tomorrow, then saturday at the gellert starbucks in daly city ill definitely will be there.

Saturday

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193991

Thursday

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159911

Pm me your number ill let you know if ill be out at those meets :) assuming you got texting too.

TA can email maps to you also, if it's cheaper then others out there.

From watching friends over the years who paid for a dyno tune and then don't have the driveability, I chose not to spend money to find out HP, all I care about is how it drives everyday.

Check out Mikes site http://www.tuningallaince.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had tunes by Mike (tuning alliance) and Shamar (infamous tune) . Shamar's tunes seems to extract the best power and smoothness from my motor. To be fair , Mike's tune had a fair amount of knock but was off the shelf semi custom. Shamar's tunes are very safe and he does timing compensation on cylinder # 2 which is the problem cylinder. I've had minimal knock events since.

I didn't want to let the secret out, but Mike has fixed some timing flaws also. He told me about them May 09 when I first met him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived