LegacyGT.com

well.... was changing a tire and forgot to puit teh ebrake on. my driveway is subtley slanted (as i just found out) and the car fell on its front end (yes on the actual bare brake) it wasn't a bad fall, seemed like there was no damage. i have put about 700 miles on the car since i did that over the past few days and everything is running sweet as sugar. i was just curious, if nothing wrong happened and everything is working fine, i'm probably ok rite? i'm assuming the bare brakes can take a hell of a beating/pressure because the thing didn't even budge out of place when it fell on itself.

If you driven the car that much and cant fell any problems likely its OK. The bigger issue is YOUR OK. Working under a car is risky. Be sure to chock wheels and use Jackstands etc. Cant keep having fun if your dead.

Well said, Franklin.

I can't imagine that anything serious was affected by the slight drop (maybe some scratches on the front bumper). I probably wouldn't have driven the car and replaced the brake rotor just because I'm anal like that, but if you've driven it and everything seems fine, you should be ok.

Glad you and the car are okay. That brings up a good question though - what slope is okay to have the car on stands? Obviously, 0% is safest, but I like getting under the car when it is in the driveway vs. in the garage as I don't need a worklight to see what I am doing. Normally, this is with the front on ramps and the wheels chocked, but when it comes time to install the coilovers, DP, UP and exhaust, the car will be on four jackstands.

Glad you and the car are okay. That brings up a good question though - what slope is okay to have the car on stands? Obviously, 0% is safest, but I like getting under the car when it is in the driveway vs. in the garage as I don't need a worklight to see what I am doing. Normally, this is with the front on ramps and the wheels chocked, but when it comes time to install the coilovers, DP, UP and exhaust, the car will be on four jackstands.

I'd rather be on level ground while working underneath a car and be inconvenienced to use a light rather than working underneath a car on a slope. I hope your driveway isn't very steep. :)

Very slight incline.....maybe a 12" drop over three car lengths.
That's not too bad. I'd still be very very cautious though. The front of a car almost fell on a friend of mine a few years back when a jack stand somehow fell (maybe it was positioned poorly) and nearly dropped the car onto him. I happened to be on the side of the car and grabbed the wheel well so we could throw a jack under there and get him out. So I'm just a little nervous as to working on a car on an incline. Just be safe, that's all. :)

Archived