LegacyGT.com

CEL Blinking

I recently purchased a 97 Legacy Outback Limited 2.5 5MT that has always had the CEL on but runs and idles fine except for some slight hesitation in second gear. Ok after realizing that there was a plug on the keyless entry module not plugged in, I also noticed a green plug under the dash to the right of the steering wheel that was not plugged together. After putting the green plug together the CEL is now blinking constantly. It still drives and idles the same. It was obviously unplugged purposefully IMO since a blinking CEL is scarier than just a constant CEL. I've read that it can be as simple as needing plugs and wires or that the car is about to explode. I've been driving it for over a month now so if it means something catostrophic I'm guessing it would have happened by now. Has anyone had a blinking CEL before? Even with other cars I've owned I've never had a blinking CEL. Totally confused and don't know if I should be worried:confused:. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

If your Light is blinking/Flashing pull over and shut the engine off!!! That means that there is either a misfire, or some other catalytic converter damage happening. The fact that it is flashing indicates Urgency. Why does no one get that?

Not everyone knows that. That's why he's on here asking about it. Relax, he wasn't driving your car.

That happened to me too, it was a misfire detected on cylinder 1 and 4. I changed my coil and that fixed the problem. It could be plugs and wires too. Mine were new so, I went with the coil. Like said before it could also be something more serous like a converter plugging up. Driving it like that will surely destroy your engine or a headgasket. Get a code scanner and see what the ecu has to say. Don't start part changing until you scan it. You could waste alot of money that way. And most part stores won't return electrical parts for any reason other than warranty.

It started flashing AFTER I plugged the green plug together. Before that the CEL was not flashing. I'll disconnect the plug as mentioned by Ehsnils. I was already going to get it scanned tomorrow it's just that when the CEL started flashing it freaked me out. :eek:.

98QuicksilverGT,

I'm guessing it may be the plugs thats throwing the CEL but I'll find out for sure once it's scanned. Thanks for the advice guys.

I have this same problem. Without the green plug hooked together it throws like 3 codes like knock sensor and O2 sensor but with the plug hooked together it throws like 8 or 10 codes including speed sensor and others. Same thing with the CEL blinking when its plugged in. I unplugged it and everything seems fine. I do, however have a slight hesitation sometimes(rarely) when on the throttle. I replaced the coil pack the other day and have yet to hook it up to a tester with the green plug together or otherwise. So is it supposed to be plugged in all the time or is it specifically for testing?:confused:

It's specifically for testing.

/\ +1 what he said!!

the green plugs are for diagnostic purposes only.

do you have an owners manual? there may be a mention of it in there. disconnect them. then go get your codes read.

how many miles on the car???

auto or manual? 5 speed

what engine?, or did miss that? 2.5L

if your car only has remote entry, there is going to be an empty connector on your remote entry module. if your car came with remote entry as well as an alarm, then all connections will be used.

Yeah any blinking without the plugs connected together (they are for testing only as stated above) means a misfire happening at the moment plus you will really feel the lack of power.

Only time I seen mine blink was when I had those crappy bosh platimum plugs in a 98 forester and was getting ready to go on the onramp it blinked twice and a decent amount of power loss.. I took them out that night.

It's got a bit over 200,000 miles on it, I don't really know though because the odometer only works when the speedo works as well. It's a 5 spd 2.5L and it has remote entry only with no alarm.

at 200k it could be anything from an o2 sensor to a leaky gas cap. get the code read and write down the Pxxxx code or codes, not just the 'definitions' the sales guy gives you. ( for instance, a p0420 says 'cat efficiency is low'. lots of shops recommend replacing the cats, but in a lot of cases replacing the front o2 sensor with a SUBARU sensor will correct it, and is lots $$$ cheaper.) then have the code reset and report here.

until you know what the cause is you will never be able to fix it. but since the speedo doesn't work you will probably have at least a code for the speed sensor. they are pretty easy to replace on an auto trans, i do not know about a 5 speed.

Archived