LegacyGT.com

help with 97 2.5l trans!

Canyonero

im trying to change my transmission with 80-90. but i cant figure out where i drain from and where i fill from...

there are 3 10mm drain plugs in a row top to bottom. which is the drain for the trans?

also can i fill the trans from the top where the dipstick thats says diff is?

So I assume 80-90 means GL5 80W90 fluid, which would make this a manual transmission. Then again, it could also mean its an automatic and you just want to change the front differential fluid.

Regardless of what transmission you have, you cannot fill the transmission through the diff. The plug for the front diff should be a 21MM bolt right behind the oil pan.

Clarification would be appreciated.

It's a manual trans. The 3 10mm plugs are the ball-detent keepers for the shift rods. DON'T REMOVE THEM!

The drain plug is right behind the oil pan on the BOTTOM of the transmission.

You fill the transmission through the dipstick tube. That's on the passenger side, and is marked by a yellow dipstick. Pull the dipstick out, use a long funnel, and fill the transmission.

I like to fill the trans, then idle the car for a little bit. Wait, check the fluid and repeat.

I also MUCH prefer to use 2 quarts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and 2 quarts of Motul 75W90 (Gear300). It's a combination that's served me well for YEARS, and I can downshift into first gear at 25mph if I want to.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived